cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 not reestablishing a connection to computer after battery or card swap

LGodfrey
Apprentice

Hi,

I often shoot tethered and up until recently I have never had a problem tethering a canon camera to my Mac. Recently I cannot reestablish a connection with my computer after swapping either a lens, battery or a card. The camera had no trouble tethering until I turned it off to do the swap. My work around has been to switch to my other R5 and that camera has been fine establishing a connection with my computer. It has happened with different computers, different operating systems, different cable, different cards, and both of my R5 s.

This has happened both on my Mac (macOS Sonoma 14.1 & Capture One Pro 16.4.3.15 & EOS Utility 0.1.23) and My Digi Tech’s Mac (macOS Monterey 12.0.1 & Capture One Pro 16.3.1.23). Both times we tried multiple cables, Tether Tools and Area 51. In both cases we had not trouble tethering up to this point in the day. Switching to my other R5 body allowed me to continue tethering. I have had various Angelbird SD cards in (64 GB V60 & Angelbird 128GB V90)

Initially after over an hour on the phone with Canon we thought maybe it was ahead related issue. I have had not heat warnings. Yesterday this happened after only 100 images taken over an hour time frame. 

After reading the forums, someone mentioned having the wifi disabled - One camera had the wifi enabled the other did not - both cameras have had issues retablishing connections.

I am a commercial shooter and I have shot Canon for more than 15 years. This is extremely stressful when it happens on set. I'm looking for a solution before dumping my canons and switching to Sony. I see other issues in the forum but none are as specific as my issue. 

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Apple update issues aside, are you connecting directly to the Apple Mac, or are you using a port expander or cable adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Either a tether tools or Area 51 Usb C to Usb C directly to a MAC. I have no trouble tethering to start. It's reconnecting after I turn the camera off to do a swap. My connection is very secure when it is connected.  I have tried multiple cables. I'm beginning to think this may be a P RAM problem

The camera had no trouble tethering until I turned it off to do the swap. “

” It's reconnecting after I turn the camera off to do a swap. My connection is very secure. “

I’m confused by your response.  Is this a typo?  Or, has your isssue resolved itself?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My issue is not resolved. My camera will tether fine, until I have to swap a battery, card or lens. It is when I try to reconnect to my Mac that the camera will not connect. I am certain my problem is not a cable problem. I think it may be a PRAM issue with the Mac. That's the only thing I can think of that I have not already ruled out. 

Announcements