cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 all of a sudden has no battery power with BG-BR10 Battery Grip

ccrossmd
Apprentice

I have the R5 with the BG-BR10 battery grip. I recently began having problems with my R5 freezing up. I searched this board and found some "fixes" which appeared to solve the issue. However, I was out yesterday and the camera froze up again. After several attempts to get the camera restarted I tried pulling the batteries out of the grip. Even after re-inserting the batteries, the camera would no turn on. I thought the batteries must actually be dead, even though moments before I encountered this problem the display indicated that the batteries were about half full. I pulled the batteries again and removed one of the batteries and nothing changed. I removed the first battery and put the second battery back into the holder and the camera functioned OK. I thought I must have a bad battery. When I returned home, I removed the battery grip and put each battery in the camera and both indicated half power. I then put the two batteries back in the grip and the camera turns on with battery indicator reflecting half power again. This has happened several times over the past couple of months. SO is the issue with the battery grip or the camera?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I recommend that you contact Canon Support directly.  This is only a user forum.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bednar
Contributor

@Toys R Us Credit Card payment wrote:

I have the R5 with the BG-BR10 battery grip. I recently began having problems with my R5 freezing up. I searched this board and found some "fixes" which appeared to solve the issue. However, I was out yesterday and the camera froze up again. After several attempts to get the camera restarted I tried pulling the batteries out of the grip. Even after re-inserting the batteries, the camera would no turn on. I thought the batteries must actually be dead, even though moments before I encountered this problem the display indicated that the batteries were about half full. I pulled the batteries again and removed one of the batteries and nothing changed. I removed the first battery and put the second battery back into the holder and the camera functioned OK. I thought I must have a bad battery. When I returned home, I removed the battery grip and put each battery in the camera and both indicated half power. I then put the two batteries back in the grip and the camera turns on with battery indicator reflecting half power again. This has happened several times over the past couple of months. SO is the issue with the battery grip or the camera?

I’m thinking about the battery grip for the R5.

Presumably I’d get 2x the battery life(ish)?

Is it a good balance with the 100-500 on the R5 with the grip?

I never used a battery grip on my 7D2 as it made it rear heavy when gimbal mounted with the 500 f4 MKII.

Using a batter grip on the 5D3 with the 100-400 MKII it seemed to sit and balance in the hand nicely.

Any input would be much appreciated.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements