cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Won't Allow Dependable Focus with Older Model 70-200 f2.8

johndd
Contributor

I had this problem after my purchase of the new R5 about 18 or so months ago. I was given a procedure to check what version of s/w was installed, and was told there was an update. (I recall being puzzled why the newest version wasn't installed before being shipped to me.) Anyway, I am having the same problem now. Why has the problem returned, and how do I get the fast, accurate focusing response back between my R5 and "legacy" 70-200?

16 REPLIES 16

BTW, your new camera not having the latest firmware out of the box is not a major issue.  It most likely means your camera was manufactured and shipped from the factory prior to the firmware update being released.  

Retailers are not going to open boxes and update their stock on a given camera model just because a firmware update was released.  Neither will they open your new camera box and update the firmware before they ship it to you or hand it to you in a brick and mortar store.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

All,

This lens was purchased around 2004. It's 1:2.8 L IS USM.

The focusing problem was, and is again, that it sometimes locks onto my subject, and provides sharp focus, and sometimes it locks on, but focus is soft. I have to manually adjust focusing ring.

Nothing to do with my focusing point not having enough contrast. My use of shutter correctly to get focused. It's a problem I had initially after R5 purchase, that was fixed when I was told to load new...firmware. I used camera/lens for 3 months in New Zealand, 2 months in western Europe, then took a couple months break. Now I went to SA and Antarctica, the problem resurfaced and I was manually focusing when it didn't perform on its own.

Is there any update I need for my R5?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Could you better describe your issue?  The description “dependable focus” is fairly subjective and wide open to interpretation.  

• What are you trying to photograph?
  • What are the shooting conditions?
  • What shooting mode are you using?  
  • What are your exposure settings?
  • etc

Tells us how to reproduce your issue.  If possible, please post a sample photo of the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I bought my camera directly from Canon, not a retailer.

Dependable focus is getting a razor-sharp focus on my subject ( I use spot focus) 99.9% of the time and that .1% is my error.

• What are you trying to photograph? Varied subjects - mostly stationary (landscapes), some wildlife.
  • What are the shooting conditions? Varied - from full sun to overcast skies.
  • What shooting mode are you using? Manual. Always manual.
  • What are your exposure settings? Varied, but generally iso 100-800, 1/30 to 1/1000, f2.8 to f18.

I have upgraded my firmware from 1.8 to 2.0. I will do some shooting testing to see if that alters what I am experiencing.

johndd
Contributor

Upgraded to most current firmware. Problem persists. I auto focus, it is sharp. Move to another subject, refocus, it refocuses and is sharp. I move to another subject, it refocuses and is sharp. Move to another subject, it doesn't refocus. I have to manually refocus. No matter what subject I move to, it doesn't refocus.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Are you using a Canon branded EF to EOS R adapter with your circa 20 yr old lens?

The mk I is now too old to send to Canon for inspection or service.

Does this happen with other lenses?  This is sounding like an issue with the older lens.  Age or wear possibly.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

johndd
Contributor

Rick,

Yes, I bought the adapter at the same time I bought the R5. R5 came straight from Canon, Canon adapter bought at local camera store in Orlando. I brought my lenses (Canon f2.8 70-200 IS, Tamron 15-30, Tamron 28-75) into the camera store BEFORE buying R5 to test, even though I received guarantees from Canon and camera store staff, that with the adapter, my lenses would work as efficiently as they did with my 5D MIII. Worked well with the in-store R5. Had focusing problem only with 70-200 when I received R5 from Canon. They had me upgrade firmware, problem was solved. Now, it's back.

If factual, I find it a crock when Canon, or any company, decides to not service their products when it suits them.

John - Central Florida

Announcements