cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Won't Allow Dependable Focus with Older Model 70-200 f2.8

johndd
Contributor

I had this problem after my purchase of the new R5 about 18 or so months ago. I was given a procedure to check what version of s/w was installed, and was told there was an update. (I recall being puzzled why the newest version wasn't installed before being shipped to me.) Anyway, I am having the same problem now. Why has the problem returned, and how do I get the fast, accurate focusing response back between my R5 and "legacy" 70-200?

16 REPLIES 16

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Can you please provide the Full model name of the lens in question.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Canon 70-200 f2.8

That's not the full name there are 3 IS models and 1 non-IS model in the EF Mount.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

To be as precise as possible, since there are multiple versions of that description, does it have a Mk? value on the lens please?
There are versions with IS and Mk versions, so there it could be one of the following:
EF 70-200 f/2.8 USM  Released 1995
EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM Released 2001
EF 70-200 f/2.8 USM MkII Released 2010
EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM MkII Released 2018
EF 70-200 f/2.8 USM MkIII Released 2018
EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM MKIII
Thus the ID can be significant

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I don't believe non-IS Mark II and III version were released. Only IS version were released in a Mark II and III versions.

-Demetrius

Either way, we need to know the mark number if it has one, because that tells us the date of design  so we need every spec on the lens.   If it is exactly as the OP indicates that is the oldest version - I don't really expect it to be the later marks from the description.  The point is, older versions have slower USM motors and they may not play well with the faster focusing capabilities of the R5 MILC - do you see what I mean?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That's true I found older consumer grade can't keep up on mirrorless cameras. The motors are just too slow. Especially old AF motors that have been long retired. Such as Arc Form Drive, Micro Motor & Micro Motor USM.

-Demetrius

While this is certainly not a consumer-grade lens, if it is an original EF 70-200 USM, then it is very old, almost 30  years.  The motor will be likely less efficient, and certainly have aged in terms of wear and tear.  I have seen other folks with issues on lenses of that vintage: like us all, they age... 🙄  The R-series bodies have super fast focus and put a lot demand on both the lens focusing system and the battery level of the camera to drive that motor.

cheers, TREVOR

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johndd wrote:

I had this problem after my purchase of the new R5 about 18 or so months ago. I was given a procedure to check what version of s/w was installed, and was told there was an update. (I recall being puzzled why the newest version wasn't installed before being shipped to me.) Anyway, I am having the same problem now. Why has the problem returned, and how do I get the fast, accurate focusing response back between my R5 and "legacy" 70-200?

Could you better describe your issue?  The description “dependable focus” is fairly subjective and wide open to interpretation.  

• What are you trying to photograph?
  • What are the shooting conditions?
  • What shooting mode are you using?  
  • What are your exposure settings?
  • etc

Tells us how to reproduce your issue.  If possible, please post a sample photo of the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements