cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Excessive Noise

hervegodbout
Contributor

I do lots of wildlife photography with my R5 and compare it with my fellow photographers who have the same body camera for some reason, I have lots of noise in my images and they don't.
I always shoot with electronic high-speed continuous plus.
Can someone tell me if I have to adjust any settings in the menu?

26 REPLIES 26

I'm using a EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

The settings are: F 2.8 / 200.0mm / 1/3200 speed / ISO 640

mostly use animal tracking AF point

It has been cropped and edited with PS.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Thanks, for the quick response.  Can you show us a JPG of the original uncropped image?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

2C0A0213.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

One issue you have is over exposure. Underexposure and even over exposure can expose all sorts of things in an image. Do post an unedited sample. (Don't apply the, "smart sharpening software".)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Just posted unedited sample above without "smart sharpening software"

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not seeing any extreme amount of noise in that sample. You may be a victim of over cropping in an attempt to try an increase the size of the hummingbird. With a 200mm lens you need to be awfully close to the small bird to get a decent size subject in the frame.

When I shoot hummers I am about 20 to 30 feet away. This is my setup a 1DX with a Sigma 150-600mm Sport super zoom lens.

111.jpg

I caught this somewhat annoyed hummingbird chasing off a bee from the feeder.

222.jpg

With the big 600mm lens it doesn't require as much cropping to get a reasonable sized subject in the frame but it still does require a fair amount. Solution crop less with a bigger lens and see less noise.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Got it! I know looking at a he new RF100-400 2.8. Looks amazing! 
Than you for the tip. 😊

Announcements