cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 - Hopefully more good news to come from Canon

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
I didn't get to see Canon's announcement today.

I don't care about 8K. All I really care about is whether or not it takes nice pictures.

The 4K at 120fps and 4.2.2 10bit is really going to smoke the competition. Sony and Panasonic can't be too happy about this. No crop in any mode. Holeey smokes.

And.. dual pixel AF In all supported video modes. Ka-Pow!

All I want to know now is what the battery is going to do, and how many digic processors it's going to have. The sensor(s) even at internal 8K are going to be (a) powerhouse(s).

And now those who waited for Canon's third generation mirrorless are going to reap the benefits. No touchbar, two slots, 45MP and finally supa dupa 4K.

Get ready for $700 RPs and $1400 R's When the R5 gets released.

My prediction $3299 with a control ring for a limited time.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon has yet to announce the resolution of the image sensor.  The 45 MP figure is only a rumor, and one of the first to start circulating the rumor mills.  If the camera is to fulfill what we do know from Canon, then sensor may only have about 20MP of resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle Canon confirmed 8k DCI no crop. Simple math: 8192 / 1.5 x 8192 = 44739242. It's deinitely more than 20Mpx.

@docusync wrote:

@Waddizzle Canon confirmed 8k DCI no crop. Simple math: 8192 / 1.5 x 8192 = 44739242. It's deinitely more than 20Mpx.

True, and you are probably correct.  But, if figuring out the sensor resolution were really that simple and straight forward, then why not just simply announce the sensor resolution?  Everyone can do the math.  

Being able to capture 45 MP at 20 fps would blow the 20MP 1Dx Mark III out of the water.  I suspect that there may be a little bit more going on in the R5.  Resolution for stills and resolution for video may not be one and the same.

The new C300 Cinema camera is able to read each pixel in a DPAF pair individually for increased dynamic range.  One pixel reads the highs, while the other reads the lows.  It effectively captures 4K HDR image data at real time.  They are calling it DGO, Dual Gain Output.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle I think the 1dx3 is a different beast for a completely different purpose. It has a higher battery voltage and can drive the lenses faster, most likely much more superior AF, 1Gb/s Ethernet, a powerful external wifi module, 4 more fps with the mechanical shutter, ruggedness, probably something else that I may not aware of.

I tried the electronic shutter on the EOS R and I'm not a huge fan of it. Lots of distorted images due to the jello effect. It's probably because the sensor read out speed is quite slow. Hopefully the R5 will address this issue.

I had no idea about DGO. It looks pretty cool! Seems like they tried to match the ARRI Alexa https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/21/canon-announces-the-c300-mark-iii/

I'd be fine with 35MP and 4K 60fps.

Also agree that the buffer needed to capture 45MP at 20 shots a second would be massive.  So there is going to be some kind of reveal, slight of hand, Ah-ha, something.  The 5DS R can do 50MP 5fps...  EOS R 8fps at 30MP

So what seems likely - R5...  something like.

7fps at 45MP

12fps at 30MP

20fps at 20MP

The 5D4 does 7fps at 30MP.  I don't honestly know what a mirrorless camera is capable of or what Canon has under the hood on the R5. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

johnsmith101, you quoted what I mentioned earlier in this thread regarding oversampling.  Did you mean to add in a question/comment on that?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

For video, I want to first understand the tradeoffs.

For one, how is rolling shutter?  It could be abysmal.  Also, what's the codec?

Regarding 8K, I'm OK with that since when shooting HD on a device that can capture 4K, you get nice oversampling.  Remember that "pixels" are not true pixels on image capture devices.   Oversampling 4K by capturing 8K would be very nice.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ho hum! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We should take bets about how quickly it takes Ernie to pooh pooh a mirrorless camera after the post first appears. 8^)

You know Ernie, we know your opinion, you don't have to comment every time.

Announcements