cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 H264 videos produce visible artifacts under some conditions

Rustami
Contributor

Hello!

I've tried to shoot some animal footage in 4k HQ mode and bumped into the problem with nasty artifacts: color blemishes. To make them visible clearly were used extreme settings. 

index 2.jpgindex.jpg

at the same time, another shot didn't show this problem

index 3.jpg

I used the same settings.

I was told that's the compression artifacts. The areas with less detail are affected.

Here are the Example videos 

Can it be improved? Should I report it to Canon support?

5 REPLIES 5

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Rustami,

Thanks for checking in.

It would help to know what 4K HQ settings you're selecting, along with the ISO, and the memory card you're using.

Try doing additional tests where you use a high-speed CFexpress card and shoot at All-I compression and shoot at ISO 1600 or lower.

Hi!

It was All-I compression, ISO 800 (as I shoot in C-Log 3, it's a base ISO for C-Log 3) and CFexpress Sony Tough Type B 512 GB

Hello!

Any ideas?

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Rustami,

Thanks for your reply.

The forums are set up to allow the community to participate in the conversation. We moderate them, but don't respond here as frequently or as quickly as we do with phone and email support.

The settings and memory card you're using seem robust enough for what you're shooting. You mentioned earlier that you're using extreme settings to get those results. Do you mean in-camera color adjustments or when color grading? In either case, if you push the look to extreme shifts, you will see some artifacts.

If you're seeing that kind of artifacting with little to no post-processing, then that does suggest something is not quite right with your camera.

If problems persist, I suggest that you email us at cinemaeos@cits.canon.com with details about your camera, your date of purchase, and the state from where you are sending the camera, and we'll walk you through the repair process.

Rustami
Contributor

Hi!

I saw some artifacts (like purpole or magenta blemishes) with almost no processing after shooting. So I gave this footage to the professional CG guy who applied this kind of processing to clearly see the problem. And as I said, it doesn't happen to all shots. I'll write to support, thank you

Announcements