cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 EVF Screen is Completely "Overexposed" and unusable

katgrady
Apprentice

This is the 2nd time that this has happened since I bought my R5 and in both instances it began randomly in a session, without any changes in my settings etc. The first time it seemed to also randomly fix itself, so I have no idea how to replicate a resolution.

The issue: The viewfinder, when looking into it, is a very overexposed screen. The back preview screen is completely normal and indicative of the settings of my shots, and the subsequent recorded image is also normal.

What I have tried: Adjusting the EVF settings (brightness, color, you name it).  Resetting ALL camera settings. Switching batteries, completing firmware updates, switching cards, switching lenses, I'm using authentic Canon LP-E6NH batteries....

I AM using an adaptor for my EF lenses, but have done so from the beginning.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one with this issue, as I have searched high and low in all forums and searches that I can think of. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I prefer shooting with the viewfinder as opposed to the back screen.

Thank you1

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've had the EVF completely wash out when shooting into a bright backlit scene. I was at the beach and it was a few firmware releases ago. Don't remember which.  I think I was in Av mode.  It only lasted for a few seconds and it resolved on its own. 

What firmware version are you running on your R5.  I'm not suggested that is a fix for anything, I'm just asking?   

Its an EVF, so it can be subject to lighting variance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the lighting I'm in. It stays "overexposed" no matter where I am or what my settings are. 

It actually remedied itself during an event I was shooting (after being unusable for the last several sessions I shot) and then started up again yesterday in the middle of a studio session, right between shots. 

It's so bizarre. I haven't found any information at all - even with Canon.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help!

Have a wonderful day. 

Announcements