cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

aneuens
Contributor

same problem here, I got one R5 for testing and I am used to Sony, Fuji, Nikon and Panasonic, all have there own quirks and tics, but have never experienced something more illogical and inconsistent then the behavior of this R5. I never used a canon, but if this is normal, the R5 won't be for me. as this camera is a loan, i suppose that a previous user has configured some strange things, but even a simple "restore to factory defaults" does not exist

If you wish the camera to retain your settings, then do not use a Custom Shooting mode.  

The whole point of a defining a custom mode is to retain and restore a set of camera settings.  There is the option that allows a custom mode to retain changes to the settings.  But leaving that enabled defeats the entire purpose of using a custom shooting mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You miss the point. I turn the camera on. Choose C1, Yes I want the camera to load the camera settings. If I turn the camera off and turn it on and C1 was originally chosen I want it to reload the C1 settings. If I make a change to the C1 setting like 1 stop less exposure compensation, I want it to remember that setting change without storing it to C1. If it goes to sleep or turns itself off, it stil remembers 1 less stop exposure compensation unless. I turn the power button off, When turned on it reloads the original C1 settings. If I change it from C1 to C2 back to C1, i want it to reload the original C1 settings. If I load C1 setting change the exposure compensation and then talk to the person I am taking a picture of and the camera goes to sleep after 5 mins (it turns itself off). I do not want to reload my change to the exposure compensation. It is like the camera has a mind of its own and changes the setting when it feels like it. Not when I want it too. In the middle of a shoot no camera on the planet should change it's own settings by itself. Only if you tell it to. That is plain stupid.

Check your Automatic Update setting.  Everything that you described is exactly how the camera is supposed to work.  Be sure to register your settings, too.3DE53681-2F43-487D-95F6-C2473EFC18D8.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I realize this issue has had many posts and I may be out of line, but this is how I use the custom settings.  I don't use it to store specific shutter speeds: rather I choose modes of operation for the kinds of subject I want to shoot.  For example, I have C1 set to capture wildlife, so the settings I want include servo focus, eye tracking for animals, high shutter speed, single point AF and AE.  C1 is similar but for people and C3 is set to more general tracking.

When I want to define a shutter speed or aperture within those, I just dial it in: for me it is appropriate to just set the shutter speed, aperture etc. as I need it - in other words, I am setting mode of behaviour rather that specific values.  I have always checked my settings when I go to take a photo and expect to have to make changes when I shoot, depending on the changing light conditions.  If I want to remember a series of settings, then I put into manual mode, Av or Tv mode and shoot that way.

I realize your frustration is that the camera does not recall the last valued you manually dialled in to override those of the C-values but to me, the retention of those values is rather the point.  I find the same things on many of the other brands so, to me, that's not unusual.

I shoot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony, and must admit I have never had an issue with switching between brands.  Sure, different brands approach some of these things differently, but that is the nature of the beast.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"For example, I have C1 set to capture wildlife" I use C1 for birds in flight and I don't want those settings ever overridden.

If I am shooting snowy egrets only, I want to lower the exposure for 1 stop to not blow out highlights. I want that temporary change to stay in the camera as long as I don't turn off the power button. Once I turn off the power but  it loads the standard C1 for birds in flight settings and forgets my temp settings. It does not remember snowy egret 1 stop lower exposure.

As it is now, if the camera goes to sleep, it will forget my temp settings and load C1. Don't change my temp setting ever unless I change modes to Av or C2 and back or I turn the camera on and off.

Increase the power off time and deal with battery life impact. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

The R5 is not a 1dxiii which has a much bigger battery. The R5 when the battery gets somewhere below half will start lowering the fps, and sometime my bigger lenses have problems so when it does not go to sleep is uses up that battery faster. That is why I have 3 batteries. My 1dxiii does not have this problem and if you are using it in DSLR mode, the display is not on and it does not have a energy hungry EVF. This is such a easy fix in firmware that would should not even be talking about it, it should be fixed.

So, in that situation I would use the exposure compensation dial to reduce the exposure.  If the camera goes into 'sleep mode' or power-save mode, and you press the button to return it to life the exposure compensation is still there.  Does that not solve your problem?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Does that not solve your problem?

Perhaps they fixed it, in an update. I use to do this and it did not work this way. Then I searched the internet and found this article and others complaining. I have seen some issues with AF changing with updates not always for the best but they fixed those issues. So now this works the way it should I will say the R5 is as near to a perfect camera as I have ever owned. Thanks for getting me to try this again.

Announcements