cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 - Can't turn of AF Assist

RJCHANDO
Apprentice

I've just purchased a new R5 and I am trying to set it up to hopefully get out this evening to get some shots of the Delta Aquarids meteor shower.  I turned AF Assist OFF in AF Page 2 and it still comes on when taking a shot.  The camera is set to FV mode at 20sec, f16 and auto iso.  I am also using the interval timer set to every 30 sec for infinity.  I tried setting AF Assist back to on saved it and then turn it back off and saved it again still not working.  Anything I'm missing.

First time user of the forum, so please be kind 🙂

Rene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually it was not the AF Assist beam that was coming on it was the delay timer beam.  That LED has a dual purpose and acts as the “Self-timer lamp/AF-assist beam”.  I mistakenly thought the AF Assist beam was coming on when in reality it was the delay timer beam.

Thanks for your reply.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RJCHANDO
Apprentice

Never mind.  Found the issue.  I had my shutter set for 2sec delay to avoid camera shake as well as the interval timer.  Apparently no way to disable AF Assist light when using delay.

@RJCHANDO wrote:

Never mind.  Found the issue.  I had my shutter set for 2sec delay to avoid camera shake as well as the interval timer.  Apparently no way to disable AF Assist light when using delay.

That conclusion seems illogical to me.  AF Assist beam should not be joined at the hip to the Shutter Delay Timer.  Anyway, I am glad you seem to have worked it out.

Custom shooting modes do not behave how many people expect them to behave.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Actually it was not the AF Assist beam that was coming on it was the delay timer beam.  That LED has a dual purpose and acts as the “Self-timer lamp/AF-assist beam”.  I mistakenly thought the AF Assist beam was coming on when in reality it was the delay timer beam.

Thanks for your reply.

Announcements