Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 - I Might Actually Consider This

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Canon,

Finally, you may have actually produced a mirrorless camera I would consider owning.

The intial tests are impressive.  Removing the 30 min recording limit awesome! Not to mention that the device doesn't catch fire.    While I doubt I'd ever use the 6K, I guess its there.

My only concern which remains is the 24MP sensor.

I'm going to Best Buy to hold this camera at the end of the month.  Let's see what 2lbs of Canon's goodness feels like in the hand. 

Back up is the R5c, but here again, we need to see what "active cooling" is going to sound like and how much deeper its going to make the body.  If it lives up to the 45MP rumor, and isn't more of a tank that the R3, 2022 might be a great year.   

Many of us have our $12k price of admission (body, 24~70 f2.8 and 70~200 f2.8) set aside.  I hope the wait is finally over.        

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am going to wait for the RRebel.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@shadowsports wrote:

Canon,

Finally, you may have actually produced a mirrorless camera I would consider owning.

The intial tests are impressive.  Removing the 30 min recording limit awesome! Not to mention that the device doesn't catch fire.

My only concern which remains is the 24MP sensor.

Back up is the R5c, but here again, we need to see what "active cooling" is going to sound like and how much deeper its going to make the body.  If it lives up to the 45MP rumor, and isn't more of a tank that the R3, 2022 might be a great year.      

Not being a videographer, I have not had to endure your frustrations.  To me the R-series up until the R3 were like WW2 U-boats: not true submarines but submersibles.  A true sub can stay underwater until it runs out of food or the crew revolts.  To me, the R-series bodies were still cameras that were capable of doing limited video work, but were not really intended to be there for the pro-videographer who wanted to take long sequences.  Mind you, looking at something like Attenborough's wildlife series, their clips are actually very short.   

I always thought that if one wanted to be a videographer, then the logical thing to do was to buy a camera built for that purpose specifically.  The R3 seems to have achieved a bridge between the two.

I love my R5 and R6 units for stills photography.  I think Canon made a big marketing mistake early on by pushing the videography features and setting an unrealistic expectation of what could be expected. 

I hope your wait will be rewarded and the R3 and/or R5c work for you! Smiley Happy

Personally, as a long-lens shooter, I would like 2022 to deliver, at least the sniff of an R7, pro-level APS-C camera with all the features of the current R-series, although I would be happy to do without the video features - let's face it you're getting the R3 and R5c, after all!!!  Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

I couldn't agree more.  If the R5 could shoot 4k120 on a hot day (30 min time limit) 100% of the time, I'd buy one.  Alas, almost 80% of the time (under normal use cases) this camera overheats and shuts down.  The recovery time is also high.  While I live in a normally cool environment, I have taken my cameras on trips where they have been subjected to higher than normal temperatures.  None have ever shut down.

I could not justify the $4k expense if that happened even once.  It would really bother me, hence my reluctance.  I know Canon has loosened up a bit and provided FW updates which has greatly improved recording time, recovery and thermal tolerances, but the potential is there and that was enough to disuade me.  

I know there are a great many using these body's successfully.  I was just looking for a little more than what the R6 could provide, and better thermal performance than what the R5 had. 

Super high def video is not a priority for me, but if its included, it very well better perform and without compromise.  I still believe lesser performing video would have been a better bet for these body's.  As you said, I want a submarine, not a submersible.  

I've waited now much longer than I anticipated.  I can stretch until next spring comfortably, but am going to make a decision by then for sure.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The R5c announcement should come soon.  This week or next. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements