cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Settings

katwoman85
Contributor

Hi All.  I am just a beginner still reading my camera manual online and everything.  For some reason, I still struggle with getting the settings correct for taking photos at night.  I have an EOS Rebel T100.  What are the proper settings for getting pictures to come out clear at night?  I tried numerous things and still cannot get it right.  Hope someone with this camera that takes photos at night can give me some feedback as to the proper settings.  Thanks!!!

23 REPLIES 23

Except that the moon is *bright*, you have almost the opposite problem of the OP.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Except that the moon is *bright*, you have almost the opposite problem of the OP.

kvbarkley,

It was twilight, and the sky actually was that azure blue.

Steve Thomas

Exactly, comparatively, you had a lot of light to work with.

Your shutter speed was 1/250th of a second.

You are at about 10 EV, katwoman is probably at about -5 to -3 EV.

@stevet1 wrote:

I shot this the other night using the technique of shooting in Tv mode and doubling my focal length with Auto ISO.

Since I was shooting at a focal length of 124,.

I picked a shutter speed of 1/250th.  The camera set an aprerture of f/11 and an ISO of 3200.

IMG_0471.jpg

Steve Thomas

Interesting shot / exposure.  According to the "Looney 11 Rule" the Moon should be WAY overexposed.

1/100, f11, ISO 100

Are you sure the ISO might not have been ISO 320, instead of ISO 3200?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Are you sure the ISO might not have been ISO 320, instead of ISO 3200?"

His exif confirms his settings. The Looney 11 Rule is just a suggestion.  It isn't an absolute. Too may variables involved.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Are you sure the ISO might not have been ISO 320, instead of ISO 3200?"

His exif confirms his settings. The Looney 11 Rule is just a suggestion.  It isn't an absolute. Too may variables involved.

Who said anything about "absolute"?  If the EXIF confirms the exposure, fine.  It seemed off by 4 stops.

My 10 EV seems about right for the sky. The moon could be low in the sky or there might be a light cloud cover.

"Who said anything about "absolute"? "

You did or at least it seemed like you were surprised the Lonney 11 Rule didn't work.  That's all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

@stevet1 wrote:

I shot this the other night using the technique of shooting in Tv mode and doubling my focal length with Auto ISO.

I picked a shutter speed of 1/250th.  The camera set an aprerture of f/11 and an ISO of 3200.

Steve Thomas

Interesting shot / exposure.  According to the "Looney 11 Rule" the Moon should be WAY overexposed.

1/100, f11, ISO 100

Wadizzle,

Thanks.

I double checked, and yeah, the ISO was 3200. I was really puzzled about that too.

Perhaps because I spot metered on the moon?

One thing I was wrong about... I was in Av mode, not Tv. I manually set the aperture to f11, and the camera set the shutter speed of /250.

PS: Yes, it was twilight, and the moon was low in the sky. I wanted to capture the moon in that azure blue backdrop.

Steve Thomas

@stevet1 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@stevet1 wrote:

Steve Thomas

1/100, f11, ISO 100

Wadizzle,

Thanks.

I double checked, and yeah, the ISO was 3200. I was really puzzled about that too.

One thing I was wrong about... I was in Av mode, not Tv. I manually set the aperture to f11, and the camera set the shutter speed of /250.

PS: Yes, it was twilight, and the moon was low in the sky. I wanted to capture the moon in that azure blue backdrop.

Steve Thomas

Yeah, I can see the Moon is overexposed, but I would have expected far more than that at ISO 3200.  Any lens filters?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements