cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures coming out blurry

rlangton
Contributor

Canon EOS Rebel SL2, pictures have started coming out very grainy/blurry.
I don't get why, this camera and lenses used to take crisp, beautiful pictures. I'm trying different lenses, I have an EFS 15-55mm and an EF 85mm. Auto focus is on for all lenses. Stabilizer off. File quality is L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't see an option to reset all settings, where is that?
The picture size is 11MB, this forum only allows uploads up to 5MB. Should I lower the quality in the camera settings before taking a picture?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Screenshot 2020-12-26 091253.jpg

I think your biggest issue with the indoor shot is low light and the corresponding high ISO of 25600.

The outdoor shot of your home is great.

Here are two comparisons for noise evaluation for the SL3; one version newer thatn your camera.

100.jpgISO 100 (same as your outdoor shot)

25600.jpgISO 25600 (same as your indoor shot)

You can see how grain and loss of detail has developed.

Your indoor image used the Portrait Picture Styel and had High ISO Speed Noise Reduction enabled. Both of those features serve to reduce apparent sharpness. 

picture style.jpg

high iso.jpg

Left image is with High ISO noise reduction. Middle image is in-camera JPEG with camera processing applied. You can see how noise was reduced, but detail was also reduced.

I say there is nothing wrong with your camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The same for me, my pictures made with Canon EOS Rebel SL2 have started coming out very grainy and blurry. Especially under low light conditions. Previously, I had this problem from time to time, but now it has become like a new normal. I've tried all the settings related to light correcting, but nothing has helped so far. For now, I'm using this solution https://imglarger.com/blog/how-to-make-blurry-pictures-clear/, but it's just a stopgap. Even turning the quality from L (with a curved symbol) to M (with stairs symbol) didn't fix the situation.

Welcome to the forum Channanain.

Can you post a few files that you are unhappy with using DropBox or One Drive so we can look at them?

I don't think the quality setting is the problem, but in any event, changing from L (Large) to M (Medium) is reducing the JPEG quality.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I've tried all the settings related to light correcting,..."

This is most likely your problem. First right off reset the camera to default settings. In Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom srttings.

Now on a nice sunny day set the SL2 to P mode. One shot, never Ai-servo for this test. ISO 200, WB to daylight. Make sure the lens switch in on AF. Outside take several random shots some with vertical lines in them like trees or fences or buildings, etc.  If the shots are all nice and sharp noting is wrong with the camera. If they are not you need to call Canon and set up a service order.

Oh, and make sure you have fully charged known to be good battery and a good, top quality, recently formatted SD card in the SL2.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements