cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to 80D - How much memory is needed and lens(es) questions.

Roudee
Apprentice
Hello! I just ordered my first DSLR camera - the 80D. As you probably remember when you bought your first DSLR camera, there were so many decisions you made with your purchase. I am hoping for suggestions from those of you who have been in my shoes. I am looking for the essential equipment I need to start taking pictures with my new 80D camera.

1. What len(es) should I purchase to use to take nature, wedding, nature, and action pictures (at my son’s football games, when he plays golf, as well as when he shoots clay pigeons during skeet tournaments). My Canon 80D camera came with a 18-55 lens.

2. I would appreciate recommendations on how much memory And type of memory I should purchase?

3. Is one type of battery / charger better for this camera than another?

4. What am I forgetting to ask?

Sorry this is so long!!
11 REPLIES 11

Roudee
Apprentice
I really appreciate all the well-thought-out and timely responses to my questions in my post! Thank you!!

"Where are YOU when shooting these games?  On the sidelines?  Up in the stands?  Are you able to move up and down the field (along with all the other parents who own camera and want to move up and down the side of the field)?  The answer to these questions makes a difference."

Oh man did he ever point out the most important part of this issue.  By  far the three most important thing in sports photography is location, location and location.  This will be the determining factor as to what FL (focal length) you need.  The great thing about one of the 150-600mm lenses is 150mm zooming to 600mm.  You see even though you have 600mm doesn't mean you have to use it.  But if you need it and your lens doesn't go to 600mm, you can't.  Make sense? The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF is light enough to be hand held an it is reasonably priced.  It is user customizable.

The addition of a fast 70-200mm lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, is also very good, too.  Remember, the very good thing about a DSLR is you don't have to buy everything all at once.  The amount of things you want to shoot really does require a lot of gear.  That is if you want top notch results.

The problem with buying a camera 'kit' with lens is it may not be what you require.  It is way better to select the lenses that meet your requirements.  The lens you are getting with the kit is the very bottom of the Canon line.  Will it work, certainly.  Will it do all you want at a high level, not hardly. IMHO, of course. You can select better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements