cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon 80D freezes up in continuous sports mode until I reinsert battery.

lastone
Apprentice

Brand new Canon 80D freezes up numerous times while I shooting in continuous sports mode.  The camera stops focusing and I cannot depress the shutter button.  I have to take out and replace the battery each time to "restart" it.  I have seen other problems similar to this but with no solution.  Do I have a lemon? Any thoughts?

15 REPLIES 15

TTMartin
Authority

@lastone wrote:

Brand new Canon 80D freezes up numerous times while I shooting in continuous sports mode.  The camera stops focusing and I cannot depress the shutter button.  I have to take out and replace the battery each time to "restart" it.  I have seen other problems similar to this but with no solution.  Do I have a lemon? Any thoughts?


It could be a number of things. Most fall back on user understanding.
A big one is understanding how auto focus works and how that interacts with the cameras settings.
Are you using a 3rd party (tamron, sigma, tokina) lens?
Another could be the type of memory card not keeping up with the camera.
You really haven't given enough details to say what the issue could be.

 

Waddizzle
Legend

@lastone wrote:

Brand new Canon 80D freezes up numerous times while I shooting in continuous sports mode.  The camera stops focusing and I cannot depress the shutter button.  I have to take out and replace the battery each time to "restart" it.  I have seen other problems similar to this but with no solution.  Do I have a lemon? Any thoughts?


A number settings can have a negative impact on the frame rate when you are in continuous shooting mode.  I keep them turned off in the camera because you can do the same in post.  Some settings that immediately come to mind are:

- Auto Lighting Optimizer

- Lens Aberration Correction

- High ISO Speed Noise Reduction

- Long Exposure Noise Reduction

 

Also, you may get higher frame rates and more shots if you shoot JPEG, instead of RAW.  The camera also has a buffer for capturing shots, and how many shots are available before the buffer fills is sort of displayed in the vewfinder.  It's primary purpose is to let you know when it is approaching full, not give a specific count of available shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response and suggestions.  

 

To provide more details:  

  • The battery was fully charged.
  • The scandisk card had plenty of space available (32 GB).
  • I am using ONLY Canon accessories (lenses) and battery.
  • Settings are based on Sports Mode - so settings are pre-set based on Canon SCN (Special Scene) mode.
  • I was taking pictures during the day; sunny field so not much variation in light.  Really excellent conditions for picture taking.
  • Image quality set to L (~3.5 MB). I was not shooting continuous in RAW.  (Although I may want to do that for future sports games.)  
  • Once the "freeze" happened one time, I had to keep doing it frequently to keep using the camera for the rest of the games (e.g., 4-5 "resets" taking out and reinserting battery over a 45 minute period).

I hope this helps to trouble shoot the problem.  I really like this camera, and the quality of photos has been great so far. Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.


@lastone wrote:

Thank you for your response and suggestions.  

 

To provide more details:  

  • The battery was fully charged.
  • The scandisk card had plenty of space available (32 GB).
  • I am using ONLY Canon accessories (lenses) and battery.
  • Settings are based on Sports Mode - so settings are pre-set based on Canon SCN (Special Scene) mode.
  • I was taking pictures during the day; sunny field so not much variation in light.  Really excellent conditions for picture taking.
  • Image quality set to L (~3.5 MB). I was not shooting continuous in RAW.  (Although I may want to do that for future sports games.)  
  • Once the "freeze" happened one time, I had to keep doing it frequently to keep using the camera for the rest of the games (e.g., 4-5 "resets" taking out and reinserting battery over a 45 minute period).

I hope this helps to trouble shoot the problem.  I really like this camera, and the quality of photos has been great so far. Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.


Was the camera actually set to the Sports Scene mode or were you using settings mimicking them?

 

What speed Sandisk card are you using and where did you purchase it? (Where you purchased it is important because there are many counterfeit Sandisk cards out there.)

I was shooting in the SCN Sports mode standard settings, and not mimicking the settings. 

 

The memory card came with the Canon 80D kit (Costco): SanDisk Ultra 32 GB, 40 MB/s.

TTMartin
Authority
Did you format them memory card in the camera, using the low level format option in the camera's menu?

I did format the memory card in the camera.  I am not sure if I selected "low level format option."  Do you recommend that the low level format option?  

 

If it is the card, what's the root problem? Does it have to do with a corrupt card, or the download speed of the card?  I hope this problem can be resolved with a new card, or reformatted one.

TTMartin
Authority

An Ultra card is a little slow for the 80D. An Sandisk Extreme Pro would not be over kill. But, a slow card shouldn't lock up the camera completely. I would do a low level format of your current card, and consider getting a faster card. If not your camera might need a trip into Canon.


@TTMartin wrote:

An Ultra card is a little slow for the 80D. An Sandisk Extreme Pro would not be over kill. But, a slow card shouldn't lock up the camera completely. I would do a low level format of your current card, and consider getting a faster card. If not your camera might need a trip into Canon.


No, it should not.  But, you never know with a card that is rated right at the limit.  A full buffer should give a "busy" message, but that is [not] how the camera is behaving. 

 

I'd check that the battery door and card doors are secure, too.  I wonder if the red access light stays on when the camera freezes up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements
01/18/2023: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS R6 Mark II
01/09/2023: Help ensure your autofocus is properly aligned with a Canon Precision Alignment
01/03/2023: Welcome to CES 2023!
12/08/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS C70
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R5
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R6
11/22/2022: New firmware available for EOS R3, EOS R7 and EOS R10
11/16/2022: We're thrilled to be ranked among the Best Employers for Veterans in 2022 by Forbes.
08/31/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for RF 70-200mm L IS USM
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.