cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing help for school - Gear Recommendations

MsChris
Contributor

I am going to be starting a college photography course at the end of the month and I need some help choosing the right equipment, I am hoping to be able to lease to purchase all of my equipment and if possible I would like to bundle it all together. I have a list of the required equipment needed.

33 REPLIES 33

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum Chris!

So, to help you, can you please provide the list of requirements for us to check out.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I posted the list as a reply to my post

Sorry, but not seeing it anywhere on this thread.  Can you please check at your end that it is there?  It may be that is has been removed by the system if it was a link

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Required Photography Equipment:

​​​​​​​Interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) either DSLR or mirrorless models with manual and semi-auto modes allowing for shooting in RAW and control of the ISO, white balance, aperture, and shutter speed. The camera must have a hot shoe center pin on the top to attach a flash unit and other compatible accessories.

Wireless Camera Remote Control

Tripod

Lighting Kit

NOTE: Phone and/or tablet cameras are not permitted for use in this course. They lack the technical functionality to properly complete required assignments.

• ​​​​​​​Interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) either DSLR or mirrorless models with manual and semi-auto modes allowing for shooting in RAW and control of the ISO, white balance, aperture, and shutter speed. The camera must have a hot shoe center pin on the top to attach a flash unit and other compatible accessories.
  • Wireless Camera Remote Control
  • Tripod
  • Lighting Kit
    • NOTE: Phone and/or tablet cameras are not permitted for use in this course. They lack the technical functionality to properly complete required assignments.

MsChris
Contributor

​​​​​​​Interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) either DSLR or mirrorless models with manual and semi-auto modes allowing for shooting in RAW and control of the ISO, white balance, aperture, and shutter speed. The camera must have a hot shoe center pin on the top to attach a flash unit and other compatible accessories.

Wireless Camera Remote Control

Tripod

Lighting Kit

NOTE: Phone and/or tablet cameras are not permitted for use in this course. They lack the technical functionality to properly complete required assignments.

MsChris
Contributor

• ​​​​​​​Interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) either DSLR or mirrorless models with manual and semi-auto modes allowing for shooting in RAW and control of the ISO, white balance, aperture, and shutter speed. The camera must have a hot shoe center pin on the top to attach a flash unit and other compatible accessories.
  • Wireless Camera Remote Control
  • Tripod
  • Lighting Kit
    • NOTE: Phone and/or tablet cameras are not permitted for use in this course. They lack the technical functionality to properly complete required assignments.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi again Chris:

Thank you so much for making that effort to send the info.  I shall post it here for anyone else to assess.

​​​​​​​a) Interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) either DSLR or mirrorless models with manual and semi-auto modes allowing for shooting in RAW and control of the ISO, white balance, aperture, and shutter speed. The camera must have a hot shoe center pin on the top to attach a flash unit and other compatible accessories.
b) Wireless Camera Remote Control
c) Tripod
d) Lighting Kit

All this is very helpful and fairly standard.  One important question that will not be answered by the list is why you are taking photography as a course.  For example, is it just an option you have decided to explore, but have no longer-term intentions; or do you have a longer-term interest in photography for which you hope this course will give you a good grounding.  The reason I ask is because it can have an impact on if the gear you get is going to grow with your interest.   
Also, do you have a budget of any kind?

Thanks for your patience 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard,

Will the need for a hot shoe center pin be a limiting factor for this person?

I didn't realize that it was an issue, until I started reading up on it, like this article.

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/03/canon-made-its-new-entry-level-dslrs-incompatible-with-3rd-party-fl...

Steve Thomas

Announcements