cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW EOS 6D -- battery does not charge

Tamara
Apprentice

Hi,

I just got an EOS 6D camera yesterday and the battery is not charging...

Should I return the kit?

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Tamara

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

if you just bought it then it's better to return it. You may find a fix now, but if it happens again later you're too late. It could be there is something wrong with the battery or the charger, we don't really know for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Yes. That is what I did. It tok a few phone calls, but the Canon rep agreed to replace the entire kit with a new one!
The new battery charges as required. So I'm happy!!!
Thanks for all the answers!

Skirball
Authority

What color are the lights on the charger when you put it in?

Orange/red. And it blinks fasts. According to the user guide, after a while it would start blinking slower and then turn to green. But it stays orange, blinking fast.....
I really wanted to try it out.... It's really disappointing!!!!

The normal blink isn't very fast, it sounds like an error that Canon issued a statementon late last year.  I thought there was eventually a recall, but I couldn't find anything online.

Have a read at this:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809ed436

Edit: did you buy it from online, major store, or small store?  If it's local I'd probably just go exchange it instead of fuss with a troublesome battery.  If online, I'd probably give that a shot first.  Sorry you're having trouble, I know the excitement of getting new camera toys and wanting to play.

stlouis_26
Apprentice

I had the same thing happen.  I unplugged the charger and took the battery out.  I placed in back into the charger plugged it in and everything worked just fine.

If the battery has been sitting on the shelf for a while, this can happen.  Unplug it, wait a minute, plug it back in.  

I have had batteries that I had to do this to once or twice, but once they started charging they were fine and never had another problem again.

Also, batteries don't last forever... I think of them like tires on my car.  They don't wear much when I drive the car, but they do *technically* wear and at some point will need to be replaced.  Heavily used batteries may only get a couple of years worth of use.  Sparingly used batteries may get a few more years worth of use.  Even batteries that are never used at all will eventually go bad... the technology isn't stable enough for a battery to last forever and just sitting on the shelf degrades them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements