cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My smartphone can't connect to Rebel T6i

THMB
Apprentice

I have T6i and I can't connect with my LG5 phone. I already tried with my wife's Galaxy A5 and works perfectly and effortless but my LG5 doesn't. Of course, I assumed the problem is on my phone but maybe somebody here went through some similar problem and can help me. The phone connects to the wifi, indicated as the Canon access point, but informs just after that there's no internet access (which is obvious) and the app can't connect to the camera.  I managed to work once but for that, I had to reset all network settings on the phone and went through normally. I did connect and disconnect 2 or 3 times to test and it was just fine. But in the next day, the old problem persists.  I can't be resetting network on my phone every day and this is a very frustrating thing. I couldn't find any similar case on LG's forums. Maybe it's some sort of configuration that blocks or prevent the phone from being "available" to the app, although connected to the wifi if this network does not provide access to the internet. Please help on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I finally got the problem solved. I decided to factory reset my LG5 and seems like that was enough. The only thing I did differently this time was to create a different profile connection settings for each of my phones, instead of one for all. I have no idea if that influence anyhow but that's what I did and now is connecting and communicating with no problem. Thanks all for the help.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@THMB wrote:

I have T6i and I can't connect with my LG5 phone. I already tried with my wife's Galaxy A5 and works perfectly and effortless but my LG5 doesn't. Of course, I assumed the problem is on my phone but maybe somebody here went through some similar problem and can help me. The phone connects to the wifi, indicated as the Canon access point, but informs just after that there's no internet access (which is obvious) and the app can't connect to the camera.  I managed to work once but for that, I had to reset all network settings on the phone and went through normally. I did connect and disconnect 2 or 3 times to test and it was just fine. But in the next day, the old problem persists.  I can't be resetting network on my phone every day and this is a very frustrating thing. I couldn't find any similar case on LG's forums. Maybe it's some sort of configuration that blocks or prevent the phone from being "available" to the app, although connected to the wifi if this network does not provide access to the internet. Please help on this.

Remember that in a WiFi connection, one of the devices has to be the client and the other an access point, and the two have to agree on which is which. Many phones can be configured as wireless routers, giving them the ability to serve as, say, a computer's Internet connection. If your phone is configured that way, the camera would presumably have to be configured as the client. Otherwise, the phone might misconstrue it as another wireless router, capable of providing Internet access. From your description, it sounds as though your camera is configured as an access point, but without the expected routing capability, which could be confusing the phone.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob.
I think I understand what you meant, but I don't see how the phone would behave like an "access point" in this situation. It accesses and connect to the network as normally do to any wifi connection, informs that there's no internet access as was supposed to, but seems like the interaction between those two parts are somehow blocked. If what you suggesting explains this, I really don't know yet. I appreciate very much your insight by the way, and I will search about. Just don't see any configuration available on the phone to fit in this possibility.

@THMB wrote:
Thanks Bob.
I think I understand what you meant, but I don't see how the phone would behave like an "access point" in this situation. It accesses and connect to the network as normally do to any wifi connection, informs that there's no internet access as was supposed to, but seems like the interaction between those two parts are somehow blocked. If what you suggesting explains this, I really don't know yet. I appreciate very much your insight by the way, and I will search about. Just don't see any configuration available on the phone to fit in this possibility.

Make sure the phone is configured as a WiFi client, with the camera as its preferred connection (or with other in-range connections disabled). If the phone has an option to "allow other devices to connect to the Internet through me" or something similar, turn that option off.

Who is assigning IP addresses in this arrangement? If you're assigning them manually, make sure that the camera and the phone are in the same subnet.

Also, make sure that the camera isn't connected (to a computer, for example) via its USB port. Most cameras don't allow USB and WiFi to be active at the same time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Still don't get any success. Turned off data, forget the wifi networks, refresh, search around for any setting related to network connection but nothing related to the problem. I did test connecting my phone to another one as a client and works perfectly. In theory, the same process expected between phone and camera. The connection to my camera exist, but somehow that connection cannot be recognized as valid by the Cannon Connect app.

@THMB wrote:
Still don't get any success. Turned off data, forget the wifi networks, refresh, search around for any setting related to network connection but nothing related to the problem. I did test connecting my phone to another one as a client and works perfectly. In theory, the same process expected between phone and camera. The connection to my camera exist, but somehow that connection cannot be recognized as valid by the Cannon Connect app.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t6i?tab=wir...

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I finally got the problem solved. I decided to factory reset my LG5 and seems like that was enough. The only thing I did differently this time was to create a different profile connection settings for each of my phones, instead of one for all. I have no idea if that influence anyhow but that's what I did and now is connecting and communicating with no problem. Thanks all for the help.  

Announcements