cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon eos rebel t6 won't focus

CathleenRau
Contributor

I have only had my camera for about a month. It will not focus on any setting. I have tried cleaning the lenses and the mirrors. What am I doing wrong?

17 REPLIES 17

cicopo
Elite

Check the switch on the lens. Cycyle it a few times to clean it's contacts or to have it fully against the stop in the AF position.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I'm not really sure what you mean by all this. I'm new to the fancy camera game. I have the lense set to AF, but I just don't know how to cycle and clean it like you said. It takes great pictures if I don't use the digital focusing, and just use the "scene intelligent auto", looking through the viewer, like an older, non digital camera. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@CathleenRau wrote:

I have only had my camera for about a month. It will not focus on any setting. I have tried cleaning the lenses and the mirrors. What am I doing wrong?

Cleaning the lenses and mirrors may have been a mistake, most especially the mirror box inside the DSLR.

Go outside on a sunny day.  Put the camera in Green [A] mode.  Try to take some pictures.  If it does not work, contact Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It was having this problem before I cleaned the mirrors, I only tried cleaning them in hopes of fixing the focusing problem, and all that consisted of was wiping the down with a clean, dry cloth.

@CathleenRau wrote:

It was having this problem before I cleaned the mirrors, I only tried cleaning them in hopes of fixing the focusing problem, and all that consisted of was wiping the down with a clean, dry cloth.

You admit that you're "new to the fancy camera game". Have you read the instruction manual for your T6? If not, please do so, sooner rather than later. Not only will it tell you how to use the autofocus; I'm confident that it will warn you that wiping the mirror down with anything is a bad idea.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

To cycle the switch just means switch it back & forth between the 2 possible settings. The rubbing motion from that can cure a bad momentary contact problem.

Reading your last message makes me think it's working fine BUT that you expect to use the rear LCD to see what you're trying to photograph. That style of shooting is "live view" & will be covered in the manual IF that camera offers that option. Most of us use the viewfinder style of shooting because holding a camera up against your face keeps it much steadier than holding it out in front of you.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"I only tried cleaning them in hopes of fixing..."

Nothing smaller than a football should be put into the mirror box.  But that is done.

I am not understanding you exactly either.  Are you saying the T6 works some of the time?  When you have it on the Green Square and the lens in AF, does it make beautiful pictures?  It doesn't matter if you are inside or outside, the T6 will set everyting for you.  At this point just use the eye piece view finder, not the LCD screen on the T6 back.

The beauty of the T6 is you can use this totally automatic setting or you can use the much more creative semi auto or full manual settings.

Not wanting to beat you up too much but, "...wiping the down with a clean, dry cloth...", is never a good thing.  Dry is bad, so please don't do this anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It only takes good pictures if I use the view finder. It does not focus, or does not focus properly, when I try using the lcd screen to view the picture I want to take. Obviously I made a mistake cleaning the mirrors at all, is this something that will have entirely ruined my camera so now I can only use it using the view finder? I really would like to someday be able to take semi professional pictures, and having different settings I can use is a huge plus with that. 

@CathleenRau wrote:

It only takes good pictures if I use the view finder. It does not focus, or does not focus properly, when I try using the lcd screen to view the picture I want to take.

Obviously I made a mistake cleaning the mirrors at all, is this something that will have entirely ruined my camera so now I can only use it using the view finder?

I really would like to someday be able to take semi professional pictures, and having different settings I can use is a huge plus with that. 

I would advise having your camera looked at by a professional, preferrably by Canon.

I would also advise that you download a copy of the FULL instruction manual.  Use this link to find the T6 product support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

DSLR cameras and lenses are precision made instruments.  Cleaning the mirror box, which is the interior space on the front of the camera where the lens attaches, requires specific cleaning materials and techniques.  It also requires a steady hand, and good eyesight. 

The average user should stay out of there, except to occasionally use a bulb blower.  I've been using SLR cameras for years, and I don't do anything much more than blow it out.  I lack the expertise to go inside of it.

sensei_bl_011_bulb_air_blower_cleaning_system_1363210249000_838818.jpg

A bulb blower, or rocket blower, is used to "blow" dust off the image sensor, and out of the mirror box.  You should regard the inside of your camera, and the associated part of the lens that attaches to it, like a sanitary operating room. 

Again, I suggest that you get your camera inspected and cleaned by Canon.  Explain to them what you did.  Hopefully, they may give you a complimentary cleaning.  Who knows?  I guess it is still under warranty.  You never know what you can get until you ask for it.  Make them feel sorry for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements