cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mark 1DX II is taking green photos HELP

Bardinetsimon
Contributor

Hi, I would really appreciate your help, guys.

I was shooting with my Mark 1DX II and all of the sudden started to take some greenish photos.

Its weird because its no constant, I can shoot literally a houndred photos and they are all fine, but ramdomely one green.

I uploded a couple of examples of a burst of photos so you can check the light in the room and all the sudden a greenish photo.

I tried with a different memory, a differente battery and still the same. I dont know what else to do.

Thanks a lot

B68I3944.JPGB68I3945.JPGB68I4292.JPGB68I4291.JPG

10 REPLIES 10

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Bardinetsimon,

Do you have any kind of filter on the front of your lens? If so, try taking it off and see if it makes a difference. 

Also, what White Balance are you using? If it's AWB, that might account for it.

These are just a couple of suggestions.

Steve Thomas

Steve, thanks for your reply, I honestly appreciate it a lot.

No, I didn't have any filters on the lense. Actually I also tried with different lenses and still the same. 

And also changed the white balance from auto to other setting and still the same 😩

Peter
Authority
Authority

Looks like flickering light source.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I agree with Peter that it looks like light flicker which results in a varying color temperature.  Assuming you shot these in RAW, set the white balance to white priority in post and see how it does.  I use white priority often when shooting sports under constantly changing lighting and it generally does a good job of either nailing the balance or getting close enough to easily dial in the proper color temp.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I will try that. But it's weird because after that I did some photos in different environments, different lights and still the same. 

I set the WB manually and happened again. I don't know what else could it be. Even it happened a couple of times when I was going to record some videos. 

If it's the sensor it's rare that happens not continuously, but rather very often. 

Thanks for your reply and suggestion 

I have to shoot JPG because my workflow has to be insanely fast (I basically hand them over when done with the day) and AWB (WHITE PRIORITY) has saved me every time.  I know this 'greenish' problem goes way beyond this and is probably a lighting problem in the room but I had to roll in when I saw this mention of 'White Priority' because I wish it was the default setting for AWB rather than having to dig a couple levels in the menus.

Good luck with the green problem this post is about but as a bonus if you're using AWB and not shooting RAW make the switch to AWB(W) and you'll be forever glad you did.

~Chris

normadel
Authority
Authority

If you're using a specific white balance setting (not AWB), and the lighting is consistent, the results should be consistent.

Is the lighting varying, like the mentioned flicker (of fluorescent light), or are there other photogs shooting with flash and some of your shots are catching their light?

Different memory or battery, or lens, would have nothing to do with the color rendition you are getting. You have to figure out what is CHANGING DURING a succession of shots.

Well, in the case of the photos that I uploaded as example, there was a big led screen that could have affected the light for sure, but I don't think that dramatically. 

But the problem is that was still happening when I tried outside with a bright sun, so I don't know. 

And well, I tried the battery and the memory because I read it online. As you can see, I'm lost and clueless here. 

Thank you so much 

Would you mind sharing some problematic raw files taken outside in sunlight? And if possible, one that is not problematic from the same time.

I just want to check that the black level is correct.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements