cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Rebel is no longer recording RAW images but set for RAW in manual mode.

Debbie
Contributor

I've tried changing memory card. My card's been recently formatted. I tried setting quality as RAW only not both RAW + Jpg...but still not getting RAW images in upload. Lightroom settings are fine and able to upload RAW from my Canon G12. I tried clearing setting but no affect. Is a factory reset a possible solution?

6 REPLIES 6

hsbn
Whiz
What format do you get then? What is the file extension of the image when you view it in your OS?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The extension is JPG. The correct graphic (letter L with jagged stair-steps to its left) for shooting just RAW is on screen. The file size seems okay. I haven't changed any settings for import using Lightroom or Image Capture on my Mac which previously downloaded fine from camera with CR2 extension.

I checked my Lightroom preferences again just to make certain I hadn't inadvertently changed a setting with some shortcut key. Nothing stands out.

I just tried using a card reader  rather then usb cord from camera but images still appear as JPGs.

"I checked my Lightroom preferences again ..."

Just as a side note, as I also, yes I am, guility of embarrassing miscues.  Even after 40 years in the business, so it will likely show up again sometime! Smiley Very Happy  Ya gotta laugh at it.

But, anyway, I don't think there is a LR setting to actually change a file type like from RAW to jpg.  LR is and braggs about being non-destructive.  So you could have saved yourself that step.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tahdah, tahdah and just plain dahhhh!!! I figured it out and if I share the answer I'll sound just plain stupid. But here goes in case someone else has the same problem, or should I say the same misunderstanding. In short, as it turns out I didn't have the quality set on RAW. I had checked, and rechecked the menu>quality window several times and each time misread it until I was just looking in the manual. In it the list of quality options is in a single column. In camera RAW is in a second column next to L with a quarter circle. I thought I had RAW selected. I'd been saying that the letter L was there. The manual, thank goodness, had the single column and said that was a JPG. Here I was reading about battery checks etc and there it was. I had been checking settings a while back and managed to change from RAW to JPG and not figured that I'd not changed back correctly. Whew!!! Call me dumb but I'm stupidly delighted right now ;o) Thanks to all those who tried to help.

@Debbie wrote:

Tahdah, tahdah and just plain dahhhh!!! I figured it out and if I share the answer I'll sound just plain stupid. But here goes in case someone else has the same problem, or should I say the same misunderstanding. In short, as it turns out I didn't have the quality set on RAW. I had checked, and rechecked the menu>quality window several times and each time misread it until I was just looking in the manual. In it the list of quality options is in a single column. In camera RAW is in a second column next to L with a quarter circle. I thought I had RAW selected. I'd been saying that the letter L was there. The manual, thank goodness, had the single column and said that was a JPG. Here I was reading about battery checks etc and there it was. I had been checking settings a while back and managed to change from RAW to JPG and not figured that I'd not changed back correctly. Whew!!! Call me dumb but I'm stupidly delighted right now ;o) Thanks to all those who tried to help.

OK, Debbie, maybe you'll feel better after I confess to doing something every bit as stupid. Recently my wife and I were driving home from a visit to our daughter's house in Philadelphia, and I used the opportunity to drop off my two 7D's and a couple of lenses at Canon's Jamesburg service facility for their usual cleaning and inspection. (I'm a CPS Gold Member, so it's an included perk.) I knew from previous experience that this would result in a partial clearing of the camera's user settings. Some items, like my name and copyright notice, would be left intact; but others, like my autofocus microadjustment settings, would be wiped. I was ready for that, had long since committed the AFMA's to a spreadsheet, etc.

But alas, I overlooked the fact that the quality setting that you cite above was one of those that would revert to its factory default. And the default is high-resolution JPEG, not RAW. (I always use RAW, and my favorite photo editor, Digital Photo Professional, does a crummy job on JPEGs.) So a week later I blithely walked into a moderately important photo shoot with one of my cameras set to JPEG. Fortunately, the other camera I was using, an almost new 5D Mark III, hadn't been to Jamesburg and was correctly set to RAW. But about two thirds of the photos I took were JPEGs, so I'll have to block out a few hours, sit down with Irfanview or some other editor, and try to fix things up. It doesn't much matter when I get it done, and the world won't come to an end, but it's pretty damned embarrassing.

So there you have it. We all make mistakes.  Smiley Sad

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements