cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 60d flashes the white area after taking and reviewing the picture, can that be stopped?

lesmartchamp
Apprentice

So when i take pictures wit hmy 60d, alot of time the whites area when reviewing it on the camera would be flashing. And this is bugging me, i wondering if this is able be prevent.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To demystify what Peter wrote...The camera has an option to show you what parts of an image are "overexposed" when you review stored images. The overexposed areas are the flashing areas. This can frequently occur when shooting shots with high amounts of dynamic range, such as shooting someone sitting under an umbrella [in the shade] on a beach with the bright water and sky in the background. The focus and exposure my be correct for the foreground person in the shade, but incorrect for the background. You should be able to disable this feature in one of your menus. The Digital Photo Professional software, which came with your camera, can have an option highlight both overexposed and underexposed areas. Magic Lantern is a 3rd party firmware update that adds features and functionality to your camera, which should void your warranty if you install it. Installation is tricky, very much like tickling a dragon's nose.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority
Highlight warning. You are clipping the highlights and the camera tells you that. Underexpose, hack the camera with magiclantern or just remove the symptom, unmark the warning in the meny.

To demystify what Peter wrote...The camera has an option to show you what parts of an image are "overexposed" when you review stored images. The overexposed areas are the flashing areas. This can frequently occur when shooting shots with high amounts of dynamic range, such as shooting someone sitting under an umbrella [in the shade] on a beach with the bright water and sky in the background. The focus and exposure my be correct for the foreground person in the shade, but incorrect for the background. You should be able to disable this feature in one of your menus. The Digital Photo Professional software, which came with your camera, can have an option highlight both overexposed and underexposed areas. Magic Lantern is a 3rd party firmware update that adds features and functionality to your camera, which should void your warranty if you install it. Installation is tricky, very much like tickling a dragon's nose.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two things to add the the very good previous post. Smiley Happy

One along with highlights you can display RGB.  Both can be turned off in the menu.

And number two don't install Magic Lantern.  Almost no good will come from that.  Canon does not approve of it in any way shapre or form.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ViperEye
Contributor

I've got the same problem.  Responses say to correct the problem in the Menu.  Just what in the menu am I looking for and where in the menu should I start?

THANKS - PS:  I will not install Magic Lantern.  Always learn something here.

You really should start a new thread of your own.  Be sure to state what camera you are using so that someone can tell you what to do.

Thanks. I'll do that.

Announcements