cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movie Recording Has Stopped Automatically?

ctrl
Apprentice

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with a Sandisk Ultra Plus SD Card with 64GB and 100 MB/s speed.

When filming a video of myself in 1920x1080 quality, the movie recording stopped roughly around 12 minutes.

I assumed for it to atleast stop around 30 minutes?

Even if it stops, it doesn't even continuously record and make a new file when the recording stops, it just stops and I don't notice it stopping until after I was finished recording my video. 

If there's a way to make it exceed 12 minutes or even just continuously record and make a new file when the recording stops, I would like to know.

I have researched hours on this topic and cannot find a solution. I truly don't think it's my SD card that's the problem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your card may have 64GB capacity, but the way the file system works, 4GB is the max file size, and video will stop recording when it reaches 4GB. 

Your 64GB card can hold a total of 2 hrs 59 mins of video, but it will be made up of multiple 11 min files. ( 4GB each)

If you record in 640x480 you can record up to 29 mins 59 secs before it stops recording.

38DD58FD-109D-47D1-8473-EFACDBB3C69E.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not to be rude, but did your research include reading the instruction manual?  In addition to a 30 minute limite, you also have a 2 GB file size limitation, which is imposed by the file system of the SD card.

There is chart in the manual that illustrates how much maximum recording time, and file sizes, that you can can expect with different recording modes and SD card capacities.  In addition, the T6 does not automatically continue recording in a new file once it has reached maximum recording time, or file size.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did actually read the instruction manual.

On the chart, it says that recording at 1920x1080 with a 64 GB card should record for 2 hr. 25 min.

But on the bottom it says that the file limitation of one movie clip is 29:59 min. (It stops when it reaches 4 GB)

But mine doesn't stop at 29:59, it stops at 12.

Even when I record in 1280x720, it still stops at 12 minutes.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

PS. When I record, my SD card is empty, there's nothing in it.

Your card may have 64GB capacity, but the way the file system works, 4GB is the max file size, and video will stop recording when it reaches 4GB. 

Your 64GB card can hold a total of 2 hrs 59 mins of video, but it will be made up of multiple 11 min files. ( 4GB each)

If you record in 640x480 you can record up to 29 mins 59 secs before it stops recording.

38DD58FD-109D-47D1-8473-EFACDBB3C69E.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Okay, the file size limit is 4 GB, not 2 GB.  Thanks, Mike.

@MikeSowsun wrote:

But that's assuming you are operating the camera the entire time? 

I tend to find myself having to shoot by myself so I'm wondering if there any way for it to automatically start a new file while recording instead of just stopping? It's already been made clear that the file size limit prevents it from creating a file size that's any larger but is there a setting I've overlooked that will make it simply start a new file rather than wait for manually pushing the record button? Essentially something like loop recording I believe it's called? 

Although Waddizzle mentioned:

"In addition, the T6 does not automatically continue recording in a new file once it has reached maximum recording time, or file size."

I'm wondering if they might have been mistaken similarly to what they said about the 2GB file size limit. Thank you for your previous reply nonetheless.

GiannaM
Apprentice
Is there a way to make the camera record for 2hrs straight? I am trying to record a play and it is 2hrs long. Even just one hour would be great since I have intermission in between. Is this possible?

@GiannaM wrote:
Is there a way to make the camera record for 2hrs straight? I am trying to record a play and it is 2hrs long. Even just one hour would be great since I have intermission in between. Is this possible?

Of course, not.  I suggest that you buy a camcorder.

my SD card has been working fine - but just today it started giving me this error after only recording for 5 seconds !!! it won't stop giving me this error and idk what to do. i deleted some files, lowered the recording size, nothing works. 

Try a low level format, or just get a new card.

Announcements