cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Memory card containing firmware is required to update

huskyC
Enthusiast

I updated the 6D to the latest firmware 1.1.9 today. 

The reason for updating is that I saw the above message on the camera menu when I pressed on firmwaure version under the copyright information.

I carefully followed the steps according to the downloaded instructions. Firmware update has been successful. I switched off the camera and removed the battery. Then I inserted the battery to start up the camera. The firmware was updated to 1.1.9.

I formatted the SD card in the camera. Then I restarted the camera.

When I pressed on the set button and re-checked the firmware, the above wording appeared. I then inserted another SD card and formatted it in the 6D. Checked firmware version and "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" popped up.

Is that an error ? How do I do to remove it. I have low level formatted the cards. The second card definitely never has any firmware on it.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you select The FW upgrade option form the menu, its going to look at the root of the card you have installed for a .fir file. 

If you aren't upgrading, don't select the menu option.  

After formatting the card in camera...  its ready for use. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@lly3988 wrote:
What kind of operator error ? That's is a groundless allegation.

I found a Rumour site has a reply to the same phenominium.

BTW, do you really have a Canon camera ? hahaha

The message is normal.  

Users should only select that menu option when they wish to upgrade the firmware.  Seeing the message and thinking something is wrong with the camera is an operator error.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

But you were saying in your former reply that :

It sounds like either the update did not complete, or the firmware file was not erased.

And now you said that it is normal. Really ?

Users should scroll and learn every menu option. And to read the Camera Instruction Manual. That's the first step to fully explore the camera. And then of course, start shooting.
I have heard some people saying do not touch the camera. You are going to break it. I do not agree.
Explore every feature of your camera even though you may not need them in your daily photography.

@lly3988 wrote:
But you were saying in your former reply that :

It sounds like either the update did not complete, or the firmware file was not erased.

And now you said that it is normal. Really ?

Users should scroll and learn every menu option. And to read the Camera Instruction Manual. That's the first step to fully explore the camera. And then of course, start shooting.
I have heard some people saying do not touch the camera. You are going to break it. I do not agree.
Explore every feature of your camera even though you may not need them in your daily photography.

It is a normal message.  

If the user pressed the button to start an update, but never inserts a memory card into the camera, guess what that mean?  The update did not complete.  Someone was pressing the button start a new update, not realizing they were asking the camera to update itself again.

Have a nice day.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have tried reading what is on the SD card on a computer?  I would then format the SD card on the computer.  Cameras format memory cards WAY too quickly to do a thorough job, even on a low level format.  You can still reformat it in the camera. 

The upgrade completed and the firmware was erased.

I checked with several other Canon Dslr cameras and they are all the same. (see my previous reply)

Older cameras are slightly different. The wording is "CF card containing firmware is required to update. Cannot update"

Actually, I have cleaned the memory cards in the Windows PC using diskpart in the Command Prompt. But it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, the mystery is solved.

Sk786
Apprentice

Sir madam please help me

memory card containing firmware is required to update 

Camera model -EOS 800D

New version update file link share  please help me 🙏

16923334159398519733420896579585.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you start a new topic with the information included of what you are doing when you see this message?

Announcements