cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Memory card containing firmware is required to update

huskyC
Enthusiast

I updated the 6D to the latest firmware 1.1.9 today. 

The reason for updating is that I saw the above message on the camera menu when I pressed on firmwaure version under the copyright information.

I carefully followed the steps according to the downloaded instructions. Firmware update has been successful. I switched off the camera and removed the battery. Then I inserted the battery to start up the camera. The firmware was updated to 1.1.9.

I formatted the SD card in the camera. Then I restarted the camera.

When I pressed on the set button and re-checked the firmware, the above wording appeared. I then inserted another SD card and formatted it in the 6D. Checked firmware version and "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" popped up.

Is that an error ? How do I do to remove it. I have low level formatted the cards. The second card definitely never has any firmware on it.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you select The FW upgrade option form the menu, its going to look at the root of the card you have installed for a .fir file. 

If you aren't upgrading, don't select the menu option.  

After formatting the card in camera...  its ready for use. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you select The FW upgrade option form the menu, its going to look at the root of the card you have installed for a .fir file. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Absolutely.

You are right about "If you aren't upgrading, don't select the menu option."

It has nothing to do about the camera and the card . It is just a standard instruction in the menu.

Don't select the menu option and you won't see it.

Thank you.

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Good call.  Problem is apparently solved.

But, why would that firmware upgrade prompt even appear if there was no firmware file on the memory card?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's a good question. But the question should be directed to Canon.

I have checked all the Canon cameras that I have, they all have the prompt.

If viewers are interested to find out, pick up any of your Canon camera and please see if the prompt exists. 

It isn't an error, not a warning. Just a reminder. 

@huskyC wrote:

That's a good question. But the question should be directed to Canon.

I have checked all the Canon cameras that I have, they all have the prompt.

If viewers are interested to find out, pick up any of your Canon camera and please see if the prompt exists. 

It isn't an error, not a warning. Just a reminder. 

The question should be directed at you.

None of my Canon cameras do it.  Your issue is the first time that I have heard of this problem.  The fact that all of your cameras exhibit this unusual behavior could suggest that the cause is something all of the cameras have in common.

Due to the fairly isolated and unique nature of your issue, I would give serious consideration to the possibility that the problem isn ot the cameras.  There is a common thread behind the problem.  I do not think it is the cameras. 

IMG_20201206_002824.jpgI have asked my friend to check out for me. He has a 5D mark IV with the original firmware when he bought the camera two years ago. He never attempted to update the firmware and he did not intend to do so.

He sent me pictures of the camera. They showed the same result.

May I ask other viewers to do the same experiment and post their results here. May be Canon can inspire me on this issue.

IMG_20201206_002824.jpg

I believe that it is a software design that existed for many years. The prompt is a reminder telling the camera users to insert a memory card with firmware file for update. I just turned on my 40D, 7D, 5D mark II, 6D and M50. They all behaved like the OP has mentioned in the earlier posts. They all have the prompt. Some wordings are slightly different. " fairly isolated and unique nature of...." Really ? I doubt it. I will go to Costco and Walmart and investigate further with their newer cameras. Let's be scientific and not just be defensive. Please let the Canon experts tell the fact.

@lly3988 wrote:
I believe that it is a software design that existed for many years. The prompt is a reminder telling the camera users to insert a memory card with firmware file for update. I just turned on my 40D, 7D, 5D mark II, 6D and M50. They all behaved like the OP has mentioned in the earlier posts. They all have the prompt. Some wordings are slightly different. " fairly isolated and unique nature of...." Really ? I doubt it. I will go to Costco and Walmart and investigate further with their newer cameras. Let's be scientific and not just be defensive. Please let the Canon experts tell the fact.

I am able to reproduce the message, too, in every camera body.  

It would seem that this has been a case of operator error all along.  

What kind of operator error ? That's is a groundless allegation.

I found a Rumour site has a reply to the same phenominium.

BTW, do you really have a Canon camera ? hahaha

Announcements