cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6 Firmware (1.0.1) Update now EF-M 14-45 Not Communicating

BCBH
Apprentice

All,
I updated my M6 from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 ( EF-M 14-45) now 1 of my 3 lenses is showing a communications error. My EF 50mm and EF-M 55-200 are working just fine.

This error prevents me from updating the firmware on the lens. In fact, when the camera finally does finish booting the rear display is SUPER slow. When I try to select the Menu the camera locks up.

I've tried to re-install the Firmware but the camera states that it's complete (seems like it only verifies the firmware version and doesn't re-install it). I can't find a way to revert back to the original firmware.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

Roger

5 REPLIES 5

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Roger,

The startup menu being slow is a bit strange, the firmware should not cause a drastic change like that. if you haven't already, I would try recharging the original Canon brand battery to a full charge and trying the lens firmware update again. When you do this it is also important that only the lens firmware file is on the SD card and not image files or a camera firmware file.

BCBH
Apprentice
I'll give that a try but the last time I tried it I couldn't get to the menu as the camera locked up as soon as I touch the Menu button.

I've been using aftermarket batteries for quite some time. Is there something unique about the Canon batteries?

Roger

@BCBH wrote:
I'll give that a try but the last time I tried it I couldn't get to the menu as the camera locked up as soon as I touch the Menu button.

I've been using aftermarket batteries for quite some time. Is there something unique about the Canon batteries?

Roger

Yes, Canon batteries actually work.  Get your hands on a genuine Canon battery.  Only buy your batteries and camera from a factory authorized retailer.  Amazon is not the best market place for camera gear and accessories.  I only use B&H Photo Video in NYC, or direct from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BCBH
Apprentice
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

BCBH
Apprentice

Well, I've tried all that's been suggest (I really appreciate the help!) but nothing has helped. I'll be shipping the camera and lens back to Canon.

Announcements