cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line though all my images

criswolf86
Apprentice

IMG_2431.JPGI have a Canon EOS Rebel T6 camera. All of my pictures have this line running through the images. It happens no matter what lens I have on it. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? I am new to this camera and to photography in general.  thanks Cristi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you have a local camera store or shop, take it to them.  Best advice for a person that is new to a DSLR is put nothing smaller than a football in the mirror box.  There is a lot of things in there that do not respond well to being mistreated.  As you become more confident and familiar with your DSLR you can probably do it yourself.

Perhaps even a local camera club.  This is just one of the calamities that can happen but do not let it dictate how you use your DSLR. It is minor and it happens to everybody form time to time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

That looks like it is probably a hair on the image sensor.  Look for the manual cleaning section in your owner's manual.  If your camera didn't come with the full manual you can download a copy online.

Cleaning the sensor is simple but you do have to be careful.  You need a lens blower, NOT a brush, and a fully charged battery because you don't want the mirror trying to come down in the middle of the cleaning.  Do NOT actually touch the sensor with the blower, just a puff of air will dislodge it.  Don't try to blow on it yourself because you don't want to accidentally spit on the sensor 🙂

If it doesn't blow off with the blower then unless you are experienced in working with delicate components do NOT try to clean it further yourself, have a camera shop do it instead.  But this will probably blow right off and you will be able to see it while you are doing the manual sensor cleaning.  I like to hold the camera sensor facing down while looking up at it to encourage gravity to help anything blown loose to fall out of the camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I agree with Rodger.  There is a 99.99% chance that there is piece of dust, most likely a hair, on the image sensor.  

You need to use a "rocket blower" type of tool to blow the dust and dirt off of the sensor.  Do NOT huff and puff, and blow it away.  Your breathe is humid, and contains far to much moisture.  Doing so is more likely to cause more harm than good.

Unfortunately, the T5 does not have an automatic sensor cleaning mode.  If you do not have a full copy of the User Manual, then you can download it from the Canon Product Support Page for your specific camera model.  It contains instructions on how to manually clean the image sensor with a blower.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081867-REG/zeiss_2096_685_lens_cleaning_kit.html?sts=pi&pim=... 

I have a couple of these cleaning kits because I have more than one camera bag.  Notice the squeeze bulb thingy.  A company named Giottos makes one that looks like Flash Gordon's rocket ship because it has legs so that it can stand up.  It costs almost as much as this entire kit.

Take care when changing lenses.  You should regard the interior of the camera and the rear of your lenses as a location that needs to kept as sanitary and dirt free as a surgical operating room.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thank you. I got it. Crossing my fingers that it works.

Good luck, I am confident you have solved the problem!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

If you have a local camera store or shop, take it to them.  Best advice for a person that is new to a DSLR is put nothing smaller than a football in the mirror box.  There is a lot of things in there that do not respond well to being mistreated.  As you become more confident and familiar with your DSLR you can probably do it yourself.

Perhaps even a local camera club.  This is just one of the calamities that can happen but do not let it dictate how you use your DSLR. It is minor and it happens to everybody form time to time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

. . . Best advice for a person that is new to a DSLR is put nothing smaller than a football in the mirror box. . .

LOL! Reminds me of the advice my mother always gave me as a wee lad.

"Never stick anything in your ear except for your elbow." Robot wink

Thank you. I will read the manual. My panic levels went down so much now. 

Announcements