cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens aberration correction on Tamron lens

fsphotofl
Apprentice

I am using an EOS R with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC Di G2 lens. I understand that the illumination correction feature is mainly for Canon lenses but here's my question. Is there ANY way to register lens aberration correction data on this camera? Clearly Tamron's lens info is not listed in the EOS Utility. Is there any workaround at all other than correcting this in post? I just bought this lens a month prior to purchasing this camera because I could not afford the  RF version of it. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have never seen any way described.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As John said, there is not.  

I purposely chose a Sigma lens over Canon because it had IS.  I use DxO Photo Lab and get this support in post.  While I'll always recommend Canon glass first, I haven't had any regrets owning my Sigma Lenses.

shadowsports_1-1647438960484.png

Just an alternative.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I bought the Tamron solely because of the IS!!! Also the $800 difference was nice too. 😄

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there any workaround at all other than correcting this in post?"

I don't think so but it is easy to do in post.  You should  be shooting Raw anyway (you are after the best or you wouldn't want lens correction) and that requires post so a routine you set up to your liking is simple. I have not checked since I don't own the Tamron but I suspect Lightroom already has it. It can be applied as a preset.

Lens Correction in Lightroom is no different than any other setting.  It can be copied from one image to another or applied to hundreds of images all at once and it can be set up as an import peset. It will automatically apply lens correction to your images during the image import process. No additional input on your part.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You know what? You’re right I can totally apply it as a preset. It just wasn’t part of my workflow before so I’ll just have to add it now. No worries. I’m so grateful that it’s just a one click fix. But here’s my next question… does it bring down the resolution when correcting the aberration in post? 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...does it bring down the resolution when correcting the aberration in post?"

As an action in itself, no it does not. But in post you can and should be applying some sharpening anyway. In LR, click the Detail panel to reveal the Sharpening slider. Drag the Sharpening slider to the right to control the amount of sharpening applied to your photo. In most cases, this is all you need to do. And keep in mind less is more, most of the time. There are a few more sliders there to tweak your sharpening effect.

At the same time you may want to fo some Noise Reduction. Open the Detail panel as before to reveal the Noise Reduction slider. Move the Noise Reduction slider to the right to reduce the noise in your photo. Keep your adjustment subtle. The noise reduction process smooths pixels, opposite of sharpening, and it can remove fine detail. The goal is never to remove noise completely. Instead, focus on reducing noise so that it is not distracting. Again, less is more!

Remember, you can apply a basic amount of Sharpening as a preset, again as you import from the camera. Also always shoot Raw. It takes the most quality possible from your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FineLight
Contributor

Howdy! Just ordered Tamron 150-600mm older version for my 5DS R and found that list of supported lenses on Adobe's site include your Tamron  24-70 f2.8 VC Di G2. I have screenshot but this forum doesn't allow photo attach. https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

Announcements