cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to confirm whether something is a USA Model?

cohenfive
Contributor

I am considering buying an ef lens from a buddy of mine. He lost the receipt and warranty paper that came with the lens. The lens can be registered on the canon usa site so I'm thinking it is a usa model. I called canon support and they could not help me even with the serial number in hand. Is there a way to confirm it is a usa model, or does it not really matter at this point since I am not first owner. Lens was purchased 10 months ago. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Since strictly speaking warranty is not transferable it doesn't matter.

In practice, from what I have seen others report, Canon is quite reasonable relative to warranty issues.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

@cohenfive wrote:

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

If the lens were [not] produced for the US market, I do not think you would have been able to register the warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've registered the lens, have not registered any warranty (which since I'm not first owner would not be valid anyway). Thanks

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements