cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Canon EOS 60D a good camera by today's standards?

bobbydeol
Apprentice

I am in the market to buy my first DSLR and I've found a Canon EOS 60D that comes with a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens for fairly cheap ($350) on craigslist, but I wonder if this camera is still worth the buy.

Primary uses I would like out of it will be nature pictures, maybe some night shots of the sky/moon and I might want to try doing some short videos as well.

Being new to photography, I don't know much about it and would like to know other photographers opinions of the camera. The general feel I get from reading reviews is that the camera is good (back in 2011) but the lens brings about pain.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 60D was a pretty good camera in its’ day.  It is still a capable camera. 

There are two good ways to buy used gear.  One, is to buy the gear from a reputable dealer that uses a credible rating system to describe the condition of the gear.  

A second way is to get your hands on it before you buy it, so that you can inspect it yourself.  If you are uncertain as to what it is that you are looking at, then I suggest pursuing the first option.

There is actually a third method, which in my opinion is not a good option.  Go to an online auction web site, and take your chances.  You might get a good deal, or you might not.  

I have had good experience with KEH, which seems to have a rather conservative rating system for used gear.  They also have great customer service AFTER the sale.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Buying a complex product on Craigslist from a stranger is always going to be risky.  It could be a good deal or it could well have problems that is causing the original owner to dump it and given the value of this body most repairs would not be economically feasible for a shop to handle.  I am not sufficiently familiar with this body to know its expected shutter life or if that information is readily viewable by the user.

Personally I would choose ebay and a known seller (good reviews) along with the protection of paypal rather than buying something like this on Craigslist.   Better still is to go with one of the major retailers and buy from their used list; it won't be as cheap as the former options but the risk is lessened.

I assume this is the 18-135mm lens that was included with a typical 60D package and if so it is usable but rather slow except for excellent lighting and it is probably not the latest version.  The lens will take photos but it may not be fast enough for many situations if your nature photography involves animate objects. Many lenses suffer in quality wide open and the 18-135 is one that needs to be stepped down a few stops for better optical performance which turns a relatively slow lens into a very slow lens.  In short, this particular lens may not meet your needs and if so don't give it a lot of value when comparing various used body and lens packages.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

IMO, the most serious drawback to the 60D is that, unlike the other members of the n0D series, it lacks autofocus microadjustment. Most people rarely need AFMA, but when you do need it, it's very useful to have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I wonder if this camera is still worth the buy."

Just because a camera gets some age on it and new models come out does not render the camera useless.  It is still as good as it ever was.  WHich by any standard, all DSLR's do a pretty nice job.  If it fits your needs and budget go for it.  But make sure you check it out thoroughly as it is not a readily serviceable product any longer.

I still use my 1D MK IIn and upon occasion my 1D(18 years old! Smiley Happy).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements