cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use a mini USB to HDMI cable for streaming for my Canon EOS M50?

jammy04
Apprentice

I am using a 2020 Canon M50 and would likely to use this for streaming. Yes, there are options by using the micro HDMI and capture card as streaming, as well as using a mini USB (android USB) to stream. But I am having difficulties using the micro HDMI and don't have funds to buy another cable. I already have a capture card and have a thought if the USB output will be possible to use if I buy a mini USB to HDMI cable and connect it with a capture card?

Does anyone tried doing that? If not, are there any ways to stream using the USB and not the HDMI output? Thanks!

#CanonEOSM50 #Stream #CanonM50

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

There is no such thing as a USB to HDMI cable.  USB and HDMI are completely different things, and you can't connect them with a simple cable.

You can connect an HDMI video source -- like a camera -- to a USB video sink -- like a PC -- using an HDMI capture "card".  These things are actually little dongles that have an HDMI input on one side, where you would plug your camera in, and a USB (usually USB C) cable on the other to go to your computer.  These are cheap (mine was £20) and can work well.

But it sounds like you are trying to use your camera's USB output as a video source, and then convert that to HDMI?  I don't think this is possble, at least not easily.

• First, you need to determine whether your camera even outputs video over the USB port.
  • Second, you need to determine how it does this.  If it sends video over a regular USB data connection, I would expect this to be low-quality video only -- like for a webcam.   The usual standard today is to use the Display Port dual mode that USB can have.  This is completely different, and much better, but as far as I know, this only works over a USB C connection.
  • Then you would need something to read the video off this USB connection and convert it to HDMI.  Like I said I don't know of any easy way to do this.  You could use a laptop, maybe, where you take the video in by USB, read it with OBS Studio, and then connect the laptop's HDMI output to a monitor.

If you're thinking that your laptop's HDMI port can work as an input, well it can't.  All HDMI ports look the same, but each one is EITHER an input OR an output.  The one on your laptop is an output.  You can't push video into it.

On the whole I'm pretty unclear about what you're trying to achieve here.  You said

"I'm asking if the USB to HDMI can still support to streaming even if it is connected to a capture card.... I'm just having trouble using the HDMI port and looking for other options for this."

USB to HDMI and then to a capture card would be wierd -- you would be converting USB to a video signal, and then converting that signal back to USB.  I don't know what this would solve.  My guess is that for best results, you need to connect the HDMI port to a capture card, and then plug that into your PC.  I guess you're already tryting this, and having problems, and I don't know why -- it just worked for me.  Make sure your camera's settings actually have the HDMI port enabled.  You will need software on the PC (like OBS) to read the video.

BTW USB unfortunately is a terrible mess; you need to be careful with terminology.  "Mini USB" is completely obsolete, and I'm sure none of your kit has it.  What you have is either Micro USB, or USB C.  In order for people to help you, you need to specify which.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Negative. The camera USB port doesn’t have video. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What do you mean it doesn't have video? It has. I'm asking if the USB to HDMI can still support to streaming even if it is connected to a capture card. I am also using the Webcam Utility so the USB port works, I'm just having trouble using the HDMI port and looking for other options for this.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it for myself.  The Digital Terminal Mini-USB type B does output video. 

I saw a few youtube videos from people who used the M50's mini USB type B to USB successfully.  I saw comments from others who said they used an HDMI / Capture card with a streaming app successfully.  I've not don't this myself.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yep, the USB port is easier to install than the HDMI for me. Although, I have a HDMI cable I'm still having trouble using. I don't know what is the problem.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

There is no such thing as a USB to HDMI cable.  USB and HDMI are completely different things, and you can't connect them with a simple cable.

You can connect an HDMI video source -- like a camera -- to a USB video sink -- like a PC -- using an HDMI capture "card".  These things are actually little dongles that have an HDMI input on one side, where you would plug your camera in, and a USB (usually USB C) cable on the other to go to your computer.  These are cheap (mine was £20) and can work well.

But it sounds like you are trying to use your camera's USB output as a video source, and then convert that to HDMI?  I don't think this is possble, at least not easily.

• First, you need to determine whether your camera even outputs video over the USB port.
  • Second, you need to determine how it does this.  If it sends video over a regular USB data connection, I would expect this to be low-quality video only -- like for a webcam.   The usual standard today is to use the Display Port dual mode that USB can have.  This is completely different, and much better, but as far as I know, this only works over a USB C connection.
  • Then you would need something to read the video off this USB connection and convert it to HDMI.  Like I said I don't know of any easy way to do this.  You could use a laptop, maybe, where you take the video in by USB, read it with OBS Studio, and then connect the laptop's HDMI output to a monitor.

If you're thinking that your laptop's HDMI port can work as an input, well it can't.  All HDMI ports look the same, but each one is EITHER an input OR an output.  The one on your laptop is an output.  You can't push video into it.

On the whole I'm pretty unclear about what you're trying to achieve here.  You said

"I'm asking if the USB to HDMI can still support to streaming even if it is connected to a capture card.... I'm just having trouble using the HDMI port and looking for other options for this."

USB to HDMI and then to a capture card would be wierd -- you would be converting USB to a video signal, and then converting that signal back to USB.  I don't know what this would solve.  My guess is that for best results, you need to connect the HDMI port to a capture card, and then plug that into your PC.  I guess you're already tryting this, and having problems, and I don't know why -- it just worked for me.  Make sure your camera's settings actually have the HDMI port enabled.  You will need software on the PC (like OBS) to read the video.

BTW USB unfortunately is a terrible mess; you need to be careful with terminology.  "Mini USB" is completely obsolete, and I'm sure none of your kit has it.  What you have is either Micro USB, or USB C.  In order for people to help you, you need to specify which.

Thank you! Will be looking into this. Will try to buy a new HDMI cable hopefully it will work this time. I used the USB port recently connecting it with the Webcam Utility, it works but somehow its video is not good. Will be trying this for HDMI again so I can have better streaming results. Thanks again!

Announcements