cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to take video with my Canon EOS 60D

lbilsbury
Apprentice

I am trying to take video with my camera.  It records for about 3 secs and then stops.  the error message is "movie recording has been stopped automatically."  I must be doing something wrong.  Can someone help me out?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jfo
Rising Star

What brand and "class" SD memory card are you using?  Likely the memory card isn't fast enough to keep up with the HD video.   "Class 6" or above is recommended.

More extensive explanation here:
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/3317-how-to-buy-the-right-memory-card-for-your-camera-sd-card...

View solution in original post

If your camera is not blinking a red non-circular icon, then it's probably the camera overheating, however it shouldn't be happening on a EOS 60D, so I believe it is a SD Card issue.

if your SD Card is Class 4 and below, DO NOT use it to take video, it's not possible. Get a SD Card as said above with Class 6 or above, [It is commonly symboled with a C wrapped around the #6 or #10], I recommend Class 10. 

The Class represents write speed, so the higher the write speed, the better performing the SD Card is during a video or photo shoot. 

As a reference, the symbol is like the ones in the green circle, make sure it is #6 or #10 in the C: 

Reference Image.

*These SD Cards in the image is outdated so don't buy one of these, buy the ones on store shelves.

As a personal recommendation:

I highly recommend a Sandisk Extreme (Class 10) SD Card with at least 30mb/s write speed (Cost for 16 GB or less is below $28, black friday deals could push a 16GB into the teens so look out for deals). I had bad experiences on Transcend and PNY Class 10 Cards (the Transcend was a waste due to it being all dead and lost a week worth of shooting; the PNY decided to not work with video for about a month).   

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

jfo
Rising Star

What brand and "class" SD memory card are you using?  Likely the memory card isn't fast enough to keep up with the HD video.   "Class 6" or above is recommended.

More extensive explanation here:
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/3317-how-to-buy-the-right-memory-card-for-your-camera-sd-card...

If your camera is not blinking a red non-circular icon, then it's probably the camera overheating, however it shouldn't be happening on a EOS 60D, so I believe it is a SD Card issue.

if your SD Card is Class 4 and below, DO NOT use it to take video, it's not possible. Get a SD Card as said above with Class 6 or above, [It is commonly symboled with a C wrapped around the #6 or #10], I recommend Class 10. 

The Class represents write speed, so the higher the write speed, the better performing the SD Card is during a video or photo shoot. 

As a reference, the symbol is like the ones in the green circle, make sure it is #6 or #10 in the C: 

Reference Image.

*These SD Cards in the image is outdated so don't buy one of these, buy the ones on store shelves.

As a personal recommendation:

I highly recommend a Sandisk Extreme (Class 10) SD Card with at least 30mb/s write speed (Cost for 16 GB or less is below $28, black friday deals could push a 16GB into the teens so look out for deals). I had bad experiences on Transcend and PNY Class 10 Cards (the Transcend was a waste due to it being all dead and lost a week worth of shooting; the PNY decided to not work with video for about a month).   

You were correct.  I changed to #10 disk and it worked great.  Thanks for the help.

Awesome! Glad that worked out! Happy shooting!

I also had this issue of the video stopping short.  I noted that the reply commented on a problem with the Transcend card.  I also have a Transcend HDXC 64Gb, with Class 10 and 45MB/Sec.  I decided to transfer all images and movies, then erase the card. I inserted the card back in and formated the card in the camera. This appears to have solved the problem.

You were correct.  I loaded in a #10 card and it worked fine. 

Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome, glad it is now working smoothly, enjoy shooting great HD video again Smiley Happy!

I am having a similar, yet different issue.  I am shooting with my 60d.  I shot about two 12 min segments of video just fine.  It then started shutting down after about 2 or 3 minutes.  I am using a SanDisk 32gb, 45 mb/s class 10 card.  I had my battery grip on with what I believe to be full batteries.  I also had my hdmi monitor attached to the camera.  Any thoughts or ways to trouble shoot the issue?  

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Hi segalmedia!

An increase in the camera's internal temperature may cause movie shooting to stop before the maximum recording time is reached.  When shooting movies back to back, the internal temperature in the camera will rise.  You could try letting the camera rest powered off for a short while before shooting another clip.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements