cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am extremely upset that a printed manual was not included with my EOS R7.

susieq48
Apprentice

The R7 is my third Canon camera.  I am seriously thinking of returning it as it requires re-learning the dials etc that one should be able to quickly manuver while shooting.  They are not intuitive. With my older cameras, I was able to sit with the manual and camera and go through it step by step. You could put it down for awhile and pick it up again with ease. Now we are expected to sit at a computer to read through pages. That can't be done in the comfort of my living room.  Don't even talk about using a phone with the print so small you can barely see it. I also packed the manual with me when travelling to review features that I don't usually use during my normal shooting but may want to try.

Am I the only one disappointed with the idea that a corporation that charges enormous amounts for it's cameras can't afford to print a manual for those who would want one?   

10 REPLIES 10

blame a lot of this on the worldwide paper shortage that started during COVID once the mills shut down. “

The trend toward distributing electronic copies of manual is as old as the Internet.  It began with manufacturers including a manual in the packaging and offering an electronic copy online for user to download.  As products became more complicated, manufacturers included a “Quick Start” guide in the packaging.

As a higher percentage of consumers became computer owners, manufacturers eventually stopped including a a manual in the packaging.  Consumers had grown accustomed to using quick start guides, anyway.  

The trend of only providing electronic copies of the manual is not limited to cameras.  Nearly every type of consumer electronics and products follow the same practice.  From window air conditioners to lawn mowers, the full owner’s manual is available online, not in the packaging.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements