cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a 5D III (hardwired) to a iPad 4 Retina?

mkg
Contributor

I am trying to connect my Canon 5D III to my iPad 4 Retina so I can review photos as I shoot. I want a wired connection.  I have the correct cables. One end is connected to my camera, the other is connected to my iPad. This is as far as I got. The camera will not fire. I'm looking for a detailed description of what I need to do. Help. Bob

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

So far this is not a really good way to view your photos.  A Macbook or laptop is way better.  But it can be done.  There is/are apps availble for iPad and andriod.  There are camera controlers too.  You just need to find them and buy one.   They are not free.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have it working, but my canon 5D III keeps switching to BUSY. So, I turn the camera off and then on.  I can take a few pictures, then it goes BUSY again. REGARLESS OF HOW LONG I WAIT IT WILL NOT WORK UNTIL I TURN IT OFF THEN ON.

@mkg wrote:

I have it working, but my canon 5D III keeps switching to BUSY. So, I turn the camera off and then on.  I can take a few pictures, then it goes BUSY again. REGARLESS OF HOW LONG I WAIT IT WILL NOT WORK UNTIL I TURN IT OFF THEN ON.

Sounds like the problem is on the computer's side. Evidently it's not reliably informing the camera that it has completed its downloads. How do I know it's not the camera's fault? I don't, but in cases like this, the smarter device (here, the computer) has more opportunity to get it wrong. Presumably you didn't program the camera to talk to the computer; you programmed the computer to talk to the camera. When you power cycle the camera, it of course forgets that it was waiting for a transmission to complete.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"So far this is not a really good way to view your photos."

It is a sloppy technology right now.  Go to a laptop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

The best way is with a CamRanger.  It's reliable, doesn't require any 'hacking', and is wireless to boot.  But it requires additional hardware and isn't cheap.

I know they got DSLR controller to work with iPad if you jailbreak it, but I don't know if they've updated it for the iPad 4 yet.  Or if "they" have even jailbroken the 4 yet. 

I didn't think you could do it hardwired, via OTG cable, without jailbreaking it.  Has that changed?  I don't follow Apple too closely, and this is actually why.  If you're willing to jailbreak it I have no doubt it'll work.  I'm sure there are forums out there that would have far more information on this than here.  I use XDA forum for Android, but I don't believe they do iPad.

Announcements