cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset my rebel xs back to factory settings?

kathleen4227
Apprentice
Rebel xs
9 REPLIES 9

jfo
Rising Star

Kathleen, 

A quick search engine search turned up this guide:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/photography/9780596156626/getting-to-know-the-rebel-xs/resettin...

Let us know if that helps.

Quite often there is a setting in the menus for that but if not the fastest way is to remove the battery & the time / date battery for about 20 minutes. It's known as a "hard reset".

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I would be very grateful to know where the time/date battery is. I have accidentaly sent my ins. Man. For new camera w/an old camera I sent to my Father. If he could hear well enough on the phone I would ask him to read that info to me. Thank you for being willing to help. Kathleen

You can download & read the manual from here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

It's second from the bottom of the big list.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@kathleen4227 wrote:
I would be very grateful to know where the time/date battery is. I have accidentaly sent my ins. Man. For new camera w/an old camera I sent to my Father. If he could hear well enough on the phone I would ask him to read that info to me. Thank you for being willing to help. Kathleen

Hi Kathleen! The manual was posted in another reply, but here it is again. If you need a physical copy  of the manual and they're still available, I'd contact us and see if we can get one out to you. Just to clarify, there is no date and time battery that you can remove in the EOS Digital Rebel XS, so you don't have to go looking for that! All you need to do is set the camera to "P" on the top dial, go to the second yellow "hammer and wrench" menu and go to "Clear Settings" and hit "Set", then go to "Clear All Camera Settings," arrow over to "OK" and hit "Set" again. The screen will say "BUSY" for a moment, then go down to "Clear all custom functions" and hit "Set," arrow over to "OK," then hit "Set" again. It will blink back to the "Clear Settings" menu from there just power the camera off and on and you're done!

Thank You so much! My photos are downloading!

Stephen
Thank You so much for the info.
Short & to the point - THANK YOU
kp

ShastonPhoto
Apprentice
Thank you Kathleen for posting this question and thank you Stephen for answering in a very user friendly manner! It made the process very easy.

It is possible to reset the Rebel by removing the battery for an extended period of time.  It is recommended that you do that if you will not be using the camera for a long while, too.  If you have to reset the date and time when you put the battery back in, the camera reset. If the date and time are still there, it did not reset.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements