cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP !!!! my os does not work with disc

vickihopp
Contributor

When I installed the EOS DIGITAL SOLUTION DISK for my brand new 7d mark ii a window popped up stating:

this software is not compatible with your operating system

I am using an old dell running fine with XP, is there a way to bypass this, I already have photo prof., eos utility etc. from my rebels.....

ANY and ALL assistance would greatly be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Having been forced to upgrade too because I do need to process RAW images from the 7D2 using Photoshop I can say my upgrades went well. I bought Win 8.1 & did a clean install on a new hard drive & waited for Win 10 to come out & learned which of my older programs would still work. Once 10 was readily available I did another clean install to another new hard drive & as a 64 bit install (added 16 gigs of memory too) & things have been great when working in Photoshop BUT for anyone processing 7D2 CR2's check which camera profile looks best. By default it chooses an Adobe profile which works nicely with my other camera files but Camera Standard looks better with 7D2 files.

(My computer has provisions for 5 internal drives & I have 5. I can easily re boot to XP or Win 8.1 if I need to use one of my older programs but so far I've been  fine running Win 10 on my desktop & XP on my laptop.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ezpop
Rising Star

Find the latest EOS utility version and it will solve the problem.

Older version won't support.

Where do I find the EOS utility.

Before you try everything out there hopeing to stay with Win XP what are your needs software wise? If you intend to shoot in RAW you'll need to upgrade. When the 7D2 came out I did my homework & couldn't find a way to work in RAW without upgrading my OS. From memory Adobe doesn't have a 7D2 CR2 to DNG converter which is pretty much the only other way to work with CR2 files using older software. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks ALL, I guess I am gonna need to upgrade to windows 10 !!   More Money, More Money, I just don't have....  

Before I do this, does anyone have trouble with 10

Having been forced to upgrade too because I do need to process RAW images from the 7D2 using Photoshop I can say my upgrades went well. I bought Win 8.1 & did a clean install on a new hard drive & waited for Win 10 to come out & learned which of my older programs would still work. Once 10 was readily available I did another clean install to another new hard drive & as a 64 bit install (added 16 gigs of memory too) & things have been great when working in Photoshop BUT for anyone processing 7D2 CR2's check which camera profile looks best. By default it chooses an Adobe profile which works nicely with my other camera files but Camera Standard looks better with 7D2 files.

(My computer has provisions for 5 internal drives & I have 5. I can easily re boot to XP or Win 8.1 if I need to use one of my older programs but so far I've been  fine running Win 10 on my desktop & XP on my laptop.

@vickihopp wrote:

Thanks ALL, I guess I am gonna need to upgrade to windows 10 !!   More Money, More Money, I just don't have....  

If money is an issue, you probably don't need a new PC with Win10. I suspect that your software just requires a 64 bit machine and operating system. If you have a local, independant computer shop in your area you might consider a reasonably priced used or refurbed 64 bit Win7 system. If you want to upgrade later on you might be able to install Win10 for free. Plus, when I made the move from XP to 7 almost all of my existing software and hardware was still usable in Win7. Only my old scanner didn't survive the upgrade.

@BurnUnit wrote:

@vickihopp wrote:

If money is an issue, you probably don't need a new PC with Win10. I suspect that your software just requires a 64 bit machine and operating system. If you have a local, independant computer shop in your area you might consider a reasonably priced used or refurbed 64 bit Win7 system. If you want to upgrade later on you might be able to install Win10 for free. Plus, when I made the move from XP to 7 almost all of my existing software and hardware was still usable in Win7. Only my old scanner didn't survive the upgrade.

Forgive me, but I think it's time for a sanity check. Unless the OP's "old Dell" is one of the most powerful XP machines on the planet, I'd be very surprised if Windows 10 is usable on it. I've seen a number of perfectly capable compuers that won't run Windows 10, which can be quite picky about its memory, graphics card, network interface, etc. And the latest versions of the Canon software (DPP 4 and EOSU 3) do indeed require a 64-bit processor.

And I'm not aware of any way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. What you can do is buy a Windows 8.1 computer with a pre-installed downgrade to Windows 7 (Dell will sell you that if you're one of their enterprise customers), then later reinstall Windows 8.1 and take advantage of Microsoft's free uprade from there to Windows 10. But that upgrade is available for only a few more months; and if you're on your way to Windows 10, it's probably silly to make a stop at Windows 7. Windows 10 is much more similar to Windows 8.1 than Windows 8.1 is to Windows 7 or Windows XP, and you might as well go through the learning curve only once.

I've used the Canon software on computers running Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, so I think I know what I'm talking about. My best advice is to understand what you're getting into and not underestimate the time or cost involved.

And yes, some people have reported problems with Windows 10, particularly when trying to run EOS Utility. But I haven't, and I suspect that most of those who have didn't quite understand what they were doing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob, but at the moment I will have to shoot just jpegs and upload from camera in that way.  I had my knee replaced and have been out of work for a few weeks.  I have been working on some collages for the racers during my down time so hopefully I can save up enough for an upgrade : )

Anyone with W7 can upgrade to W10 for free up until mid-2016; one year after the release of W10. And, they give 30 days to try it and if there are problems they can roll back to W7. After 30 days the W7 files are erased. 

I had had issues with W10 and my monitor. It wouldn't recognize the monitor (a LaCie 320) and thus wouldn't load the Xrite profile. I had to do it manually each time computer rebooted. 

I saw saw no pluses to W10 and thus reverted back to W7. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements