cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting horizontal color banding on photo files on EOS 1Ds Mark II

Ukieboy
Contributor

I recently turned over my EOS 1Ds Mark II to my youngest son, having replaced this with a 5D Mark III 4 years ago.  In taking some shots, he has noticed a horizontal color banding on landscape orientation shots, which I am at a loss to explain.  I purchased this old workhorse back in 2001 and submited it to Canon Repair in May 2006 for a totally different type of vertical banding, which I was told due to a defective CMOS controller problem.  This is the image my on sent to me:

XO9K5689.jpg   I have reduced it to 30% in Lightroom CC, as he sent it to me in a large format.

Any help is appreciated to propose some possibilities for the noise and how to proceed on solving the issue.

27 REPLIES 27

Peter
Authority
Authority

Only in that place or other places without radio interference or electromagnetic interference too? Trying to find a sample for you...

Found two, wave forms, so probably wrong http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/canon-5d-banding-problem.197057/

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00N/00NDgP-39605584.jpg

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Ukieboy wrote:

I have reduced it to 30% in Lightroom CC, as he sent it to me in a large format.

Full size would have been better. I can't tell anything from a 200X150 pixel image

@TTMartin wrote:

@Ukieboy wrote:

I have reduced it to 30% in Lightroom CC, as he sent it to me in a large format.

Full size would have been better. I can't tell anything from a 200X150 pixel image

Just remove the last part in the URL.

The original file was 14+MB.  Here is a 4+MB file, as this site limits images to 5MP.

XO9K5689.jpg

Seems somebody didn´t like my links about radio interference. Tell your son to take another picture 500 meters away from that place away from electric lines or radio towers.

Since the lines especially at the bottom, don't look perfectly straight and horizontal, it looks like a botched wet sensor cleaning job to me.

@TTMartin wrote:

Since the lines especially at the bottom, don't look perfectly straight and horizontal, it looks like a botched wet sensor cleaning job to me.

100% perfectly to the edges, visible in the shadows and in focus at f/7,1. I have never seen that after a failed wet cleaning.

Peter
Authority
Authority

I think it could be easier to try to tilt the camera and take a picture in portrait mode instead of landscape mode to check if it is interference.

Spoke with my son this evening and he is over 2.5 miles from the nearest heavy duty power transmission lines.  I know, for a fact that the last cleaning cycle for the camera was almost two years ago and I can assure you, after 12 years of ownership, I was meticulous about my routine and used only products certified by the Canon pros.  I followed methods taught me by a Canon Pro at CES in Las Vegas.  In the last two years, the last time the camera was fired was by ME, in the condo, to test new batteries I bought for it, after fully charging them.  No such noise existed in those test shots.  They were crystal clear.  I find it hard to believe that the sensor could degrade that significantly.  It has been stored in a large professional backpack ... NO LENS CHANGES ... undesturbed, since it's last cleaning.  I gifted that bag to my son when i gave him the camera system.

At my direction, he has rotated CF AND SD CARDS and continues to get the same noise.  He is going to provide me with more test shots later today, including both portrait and landscape orientations and I will post them.  Any other thoughts of conditional test shots he could perform are appreciated.  Mahalo for your help, thus far.

Announcements