cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Shock/Static Coming from Canon EOS 250D/sl3

rosybrie
Contributor

Recently I've been wanting to get into video recording and streaming with my DSLR camera using the eos webcam utility (I do own a capture card, but it's in storage currently). I ended up purchasing the compatible dummy battery with the ac adaptor for my camera so I wouldn't have to worry about battery life. However I've noticed that whenever my camera is connected to a power source of any kind while the eos webcam utility is on it produces some kind of electrical shock whenever I touch the camera. This happens when plugged into my computer via USB and/or the ac adaptor. I stopped using both to prevent any damage to the camera and any safety hazards. I haven't been able to get a solid answer on whether this is just static or if it's actually electricity. According to the Canon safety manual for the ac adaptor, using the adapter in humid areas can increase the risk of electrical shock and the area I live in is very humid most days. I'd like to be able to just record videos for a longer period of time before the battery dies on me, but I don't want to risk damaging the components or shocking myself. Please keep in mind that I've had this camera for nearly 2 years now and the only instances in which I have been shocked have been while it's plugged into the ac adaptor and using the eos webcam utility. This is not an issue I have at any other time with this camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen

Hello,

Stop using this product IMMEDIATELY and UNPLUG IT if it is producing any kind of an electrical shock to you! Disconnect it from your Camera, your Computer, and the power outlet.

Are you using the Canon AC Adapter AC-E6N and the DC Coupler DR-E18, or is any of your setup from a third party? If your AC Adapter and DC Coupler are Genuine Canon, we need you to contact our support group ASAP at 800-652-2666.

If your AC Adapter and DC Coupler are from a third party, you need to reach out to that company to let them know what's going on - this is not normal. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

It's likely a grounding issue.  Most AC adapters with dummy plugs only have a 2 prong AC plug vs 3 prong (with ground).  Most computers use a 3 prong outlet to ground the computer.  This grounding is very important as you mentioned in humid areas as any electrified device can build up a static charge and a human body being mostly water is a nice conductor to dissipate the static charge.  I'm assuming you are using a desktop computer.  For some folks in older homes with only 2 prong AC outlets, people will use an adapter or clip off the ground plug to fit into 3 prong power plug into a 2 prong AC outlet.  This increases the risk of not grounding the device and increases the likelihood of static buildup.

If it was actual 110v shock you'd know the difference than compared to static discharge (i've stupidly done both).  If it's static, it'll be a quick/tiny jolt but if it's a 110v shock, it'll like cause the breaker to turn off.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

While getting across 110 will cause a GFCI to trip, you will die long before a breaker trips if you get across 110.

The computer I built is fully grounded and it is plugged into a 3 prong outlet. This camera isn't the first piece of equipment I have plugged in through USB and an ac adaptor and if grounding were an issue I'd be getting shocked every time I used my graphics tablet. I've also been shocked before and it does feel a bit more like static electricity to me though.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is probably a loop because you have the USB and the AC line plugged into the camera. I have never needed one, but you might try a USB isolator.

I doubt it's a loop since this is happening with the USB cord plugged in without the ac adaptor, buy I will look into one.

Sounds like your PC has a grounding problem.

I highly doubt it. My PC is grounded and this DSLR isn't the only piece of sensitive equipment I have hooked up to it. If it were truly a grounding problem I'd be having the same issues with my drawing tablet, which also has the potential to shock if it's not grounded properly.

Stephen

Hello,

Stop using this product IMMEDIATELY and UNPLUG IT if it is producing any kind of an electrical shock to you! Disconnect it from your Camera, your Computer, and the power outlet.

Are you using the Canon AC Adapter AC-E6N and the DC Coupler DR-E18, or is any of your setup from a third party? If your AC Adapter and DC Coupler are Genuine Canon, we need you to contact our support group ASAP at 800-652-2666.

If your AC Adapter and DC Coupler are from a third party, you need to reach out to that company to let them know what's going on - this is not normal. 

Alright I will give them a call. I am using the Canon ac adaptor & coupler. I've had the camera unplugged after the second instance of this happening, which was over a week ago. 

Announcements