cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS m50 suddenly dimming background for videos

Twitterpated
Contributor

I recently bought an EOS m50, and have been using it to videorecord. I have been making multiple videos with the same lighting and background, but for some reason, the last two times I've done this, the camera automatically dims everything in the background and it looks very dark compared to former videos. I'm wondering if anyone knows what might cause this and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is it *only* the background? Is the subject sufficiently lighted?

There is sufficient lighting on the entire recording area, at least for my current needs, but the video camera keeps dimming the background as soon as i get situated in front of it. So the light is on me and my face, but the rest of the room in the background appears completely dark, and looks totally different from the former, overall brighter videos where the camera didn't dim like that.

This is normal. If you have a scene lighted, and you interpose a subject, the camera will lower the exposure to properly expose the subject. that will cause the background to dim.

To prevent this, you would need to light the subject *and* background to independently control the light to each.

Thank you for your reply. I don't see any reason to add additional light to the background currently, since it was lit well enough before the camera started doing this dimming thing. I'm certain it is some kind of setting on the camera that got switched somehow, and I need to switch it back to the original setting, but I just am not familiar enough with the camera yet to know which setting I need to look at.

There is probably a meu item to reset the camera to its defaults.

I would prefer not to send the camera back to default settings, since I do have some other settings the way I want them.  I am not familiar with the camera in general yet, and took recommendations from others for the settings I currently have, so once I change something, it is easier to leave it the way it is. There must be a way to solve this particular problem without reverting to default settings, but I just am not familiar enough with the camera to know what that solution is.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Undo the last set of changes you made. Most likely culprits are metering mode, AF point selection, or both.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Undo the last set of changes you made. Most likely culprits are metering mode, AF point selection, or both.

The only changes I made were at the very beginning of filming, over a month ago, when I first got the camera. Everything was fine with the lighting until recently, so I don't think those settings are the problem. I will definitely look at metering mode and AF point selection, and learn about those things to see if I can figure out where the problem exists. Thank you.

It sounds like maybe the metering mode was switched from Evaluative to Center Weighted or Spot Metering.

Announcements