cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS SL1 auto focus doesn't work. Seems to happen on hot days

Bankesmom1
Enthusiast

My Rebel SL1 with a Tamron telephoto lens won't auto focus on warm days.  It will sometimes work at close focus, but when zooming in, it won't auto focus. Does anyone have an answer to this.  Same thing happened last year, but my local camera shop could give me no answers.  It was the shop where I purchased the camera, and I was disappointed with their response.  The weather has warmed up, I wanted to take pictures at a grandson's baseball game and no autofocus.  Frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

And it will continue that way if you keep listening to all the mishmash of suggestions. You need to go back to the basics. The SL1 can provide great photos but you need to set it up correctly. I will almost guarantee you AI-servo is one setting that is working against you as is using more than one focus point is a bad idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

Bankesmom1
Enthusiast

F985241F-7CB3-4F34-9E3A-BFA4253060F3.jpegE9990461-EC37-4E30-85D3-056EBCFC19AB.jpeg

9673B385-9A46-462A-9832-CB7AA5E56D12.jpeg

I can't load any of the good pictures here because it says the files are too big.  These are just a couple of the bad ones.  

Your sample are most likely caused by Ai-servo focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Several of his out of focus pictures were shot in manual focus mode according to the picture metadata. I think his lens A/F switch is faulty, causing it to be in Manual Focus mode when he has selected Auto Focus on the lens.

I had to manually change it to manual focus in order to get some of the shots.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you place the lens in manual focus, you must focus the lens yourself. I don't see how you would expect a lens in manual focus mode to produce focused photos automatically, unless the lens is not able to be manually focused either. Is this the case?

That seems to be the problem, the lens is putting itself into manual focus. I would guess a bad switch that Tamron needs to repair.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP said that they put it in manual focus to take the shots that they posted that are out of focus, so I am confused.

Yes, I would agree. It looks like the lens needs repair.

"There was some clicking like noise going on, but it would not make the exposure.  Then I took my finger off the shutter button tried it again and it did take the exposure." 

There maybe something mechanically wrong with the lens. A lens shouldn't be making a "clicking" noise. While the lens is focusing.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements