cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel won't take pictures in AF and I can't work out why

Sarahfitzm
Apprentice

Hi there, 

I was taking pictures with my trusty camera until this morning when it just stopped working. I have no idea why. Having looked on the forum here I have checked and the camera will take pictures in MF but I would also like to work out why it won't in AF. There is no error message - just no noise, as if the camera can't focus, particularly on anything close up and then nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

First check that the lens is firmly mounted. Remove lens and re-install.

Verify that you didn't accidently move AF/MF switch.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John, 

Thank you for coming back to me. I've removed and reattached the lens and checked that the switch is to AF but neither seems to be the problem. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Is there enough light? Are you beyond minimum focus distance(when you say close-up). Did this lens work previously in the same conditions? If you have more than one lens do the others work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John, thank you for your reply. There is plenty of light and the distance is usual for the sort of pictures I would take normally - it won't focus on further distances really either. Yes the lens did work previously in the same conditions and I don't have another lens.

Don't worry if you don't know but I'm stumped and appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks

Check the pogo pins in the camera body to see if any of them are stuck.  You stated that you don't hear any noise from the lens when trying to AF.  Maybe you have a bad connection between the lens and the camera.

Hi guys, 

After taking off the lens again and giving it a proper clean and seeing if there was anything inside (I'm not sure what the pogo pins are) but whatever I did it worked so thank you both so much for you help! I really appreciate it and you've saved the day as I'm off to a wedding this weekend. 

Thanks again 🙂 xxx

The pogo pins are the gold contacts that electriclly connect the lens to the camera body.  If you take a small device (I'd use plastic or something non-conductive like a toothpick and remove to battery just in case) these pins should be able to be depressed slightly then spring back up.  When the lens is on these pins press against the contacts on the lens to make the electrical connections.

Canon pogo pins.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you in Program or preferably Auto Green Rectangle.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you are near a Best Buy or similar store bring in your body and ask if you can try one of the lenses on display. You're shopping for a new lens. If it works problem most likely lens. If not, camera body.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements