cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XTi Memory Card Issues, AF Issues, and More

kcbeck1021
Apprentice

I cannot access the menu or memory card in any of the manual modes. It also will not auto focus. It will take pictures randomly. While in automatic it seems to work fine. I have found and downloaded an update but I cannot install due to the lack of access to the menu in manual and the menu in automatic does not have an update option. We pulled the camera out of storage, in a closet, and it worked fine for about a week but now...

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The X-Ti is a good camera for its time, but it's about 16 years old now.  Cameras in long-term storage can degrade from lack of use, and if the humidity is not controlled the circuitry can degrade - so that may be what has happened. 

You could try using Av mode to see if you can access the menu functions and thus do an update, but this behaviour is not typical of the things the update would have resolved.

That said, I would suggest seeing if you can find a new battery for this unit - there are some compatibles available to day.  If the battery is degraded that may cause the camera to misbehave. 

If none of that works, then it is far too old to get Canon to fix it, and even if they could, the cost would be much more than it's worth.  In that case, it sounds like it might be time to go shopping.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the reply. I think it maybe the battery. I ordered a couple new ones of Amazon since I could not locate the charger. I just found the charger and put in one of the original batteries and it immediately starting working. Now it it is back and forth to working and not. I’m worried I fried it with the new battery. I know it’s old and it only came out because my daughter decided to  take photography classes in school.  We also have a film camera but I looked at film online and my goodness. 

Are these 1st party Canon batteries or 3rd party batteries? Weird things can happen with 3rd party equipment.

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

You, and she are much better off using a digital camera.  One can see results immediately, it's free to shoot as opposed to the costs of film and processing.   Hopefully, you can get it to work with a different battery.  If not there are lots of great DSLRs out there second-hand as people move to the Mirrorless platform.  DSLRs still take great photos: I shoot with some that are 20+ years old.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The Rebel XTi is a digital camera. But it's time for an upgrade. That camera was released in 2006. 

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Does the rear LCD work screen work along with all the buttons on the camera. Have you tried to access the menu without a lens attached.

-Demetrius

It maybe a battery issue. I put in a different battery and now it’s working sporadically. the firmware was already up to date. I had a new battery in it so I may have put a bad one in there and damaged it. Hope not.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The way the camera is acting is quite strange and not typical. It may be best to upgrade your current gear.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Well, given the OP has invested in a different battery, let's hold fire until we find out if that does the trick.  I totally agree in principle though, as I have said, but I respect that they may not want to spend any more money than necessary.   I would also be interested to know what kind of glass the OP has with the camera.  Likely that is old too, but I shall wait to see how the first try works out

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements