cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i Images Grainy and Super Weird-Looking

Jhodgman
Apprentice

I noticed a week ago that my pictures were all starting to come out grainy and super weird looking. Like they are all out of focus and an example of another thing is you can’t see people’s eyes. Like the shadows are on full force. What is going on. I haven’t changed my settings, and I made sure nothing got bumped. I took pictures tonight for practice to see if it was fixed and I took them during sun set and still so grainy. I have had my camera a year and I have never had this issue. I feel like it all started after I got a off camera flash I used once for a event a couple weeks ago. The brand is a goddex. Did it changed something I don’t know about or can’t find in my camera? 

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Sorry to learn you are having issues.

My first suggestion would be to do a reset of the camera to default settings.  That is the least intrusive thing that could sort out some kind of setting.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Jhodgman,

Have you tried a different lens? Does this happen on all your lenses, or just one?

How does your camera behave in bright sunlight without using your flash?

How do your pictures look without using the off-camera goddex flash?

Steve Thomas

088BAA4F-991D-469C-91DA-54858D9C5E55.jpeg

 I wasn’t using the flash on any of them. I just tried it a couple weeks ago as I bought one and was practicing. This was around 6:00 and I had the best lightning. And some people’s eyes just look completely black. I don’t have another lens to try but I think I’m going to rent one and see if that’s the issue. 

Jhodgman,

You're right. The picture you provided is definitely out of focus. Since this is your only lens, I would definitely try a different lens first.

What lens is it, by the way? This may a dumb question, but are you sure the manual focus switch on the side of the lens is pushed to the AF position?

Adding a flash should not change your focusing abilities.

Steve Thomas

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

After the reset I would try shooting in A+ Mode outside without the speedlight. If this continues to happen can you post a sample picture.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Fotogrni61
Enthusiast

I have learned that when using external flash you must use manual mode and set cameras at 160-200 shutter speed iso at 200 and you can adjust your f/stop between 5.6-8.0

Announcements