cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 "Cannot format change card"

KellyG
Contributor

I have the EOS Rebel T7. I bought the SanDisk SDXC UHS-I Card.  When I try to format I get message Cannot format change card.  Change card to what?  

Thank you,

KellyG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

256 GB, you say?  That is much too large for this camera.  I had not noticed that you had written SDXC, not SDHC.  The Class I part is fine.  It is the “XC”, for extended capacity, instead of “HC”, for high capacity, that is the issue.

I know the camera specifications say that the SDXC card should work.  I get that.  In the real world, the SDXC cards do not work.  This is speaking from personal experience,, as well as the combined experiences of other forum users with the T5, T6, and T7 models.

You need to dial down card storage capacity to [UHS-I] I, SDHC, which is 32 GB or smaller, and I can almost guarantee you that all of your issues will go away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@KellyG wrote:

I have the EOS Rebel T7. I bought the SanDisk SDXC UHS-I Card.  When I try to format I get message Cannot format change card.  Change card to what?  

Thank you,

KellyG

I think the reply “change card” is telling you to try a different SD card.

What brand of card do you have? Where did you buy the SD card? 

Do you have a full size SD card, or a micro-SD card with an adapter?

Thank you for your response!  It is SanDisk brand.  I bought it through our company procurement system.  It is full size:  SanDisk 256GB Ultra SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, SD Card - SDSDUN4-256G-GN6IN

256 GB, you say?  That is much too large for this camera.  I had not noticed that you had written SDXC, not SDHC.  The Class I part is fine.  It is the “XC”, for extended capacity, instead of “HC”, for high capacity, that is the issue.

I know the camera specifications say that the SDXC card should work.  I get that.  In the real world, the SDXC cards do not work.  This is speaking from personal experience,, as well as the combined experiences of other forum users with the T5, T6, and T7 models.

You need to dial down card storage capacity to [UHS-I] I, SDHC, which is 32 GB or smaller, and I can almost guarantee you that all of your issues will go away.

Thank you again so much.  I will try a smaller capacity card.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is Error 02 what you are seeing?

Screenshot 2022-12-19 190257.jpg

Sometimes a brand new card needs to formatted in a PC first, and then formatted in camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for your response!  I tried formatting in PC first and it still would not work.  I'll try another card.

Announcements