cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Won't Format Memory Cards

rslonaker
Apprentice

I have a rebel t7. everything was working fine. I took my sd card out to transfer some pics and then put my sd card back in. Now it says not formatted and wont format. Bought new sd 32 wont format tried 64 wont format. changed sd card formats wont format 

what do i need to do to get a sd card to format when it wont

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using full size memory cards or micro-SD with an adapter? If using an adapter, it might be bad. You should only use full size memory cards. If that is not the case, look carefully at your card slot in the camera, looking for bent contacts or dirt and dust in the card socket. 

Make sure the write protect switch on the card is in the correct position.

thanks i tried cleaning but no luck I am using brand new sand disk 32 not mini brand new from best buy actually had 2 neither will format

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say that it needs to be sent to Canon for repair.

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Stick with 32GB (SDHC) or smaller SD cards. Larger cards such as 64 (SDXC) or larger often cause problems with lower end cameras. Even though the manual states that there compatible. They'll work for awhile then stop and start causing problems. Also don't use Micro SD Cards in an adapter. Those too often cause problems stick with a Full Sized SD Card. From a reputable company. Buy a few of them too not just one. Buy from a reputable retailer. Amazon is NOT A REPUTABLE retailer. There have been so many posts about counterfeit SD Cards from them.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

thanks  I am using brand new sand disk 32 not mini brand new from best buy actually had 2 neither will format

Try formatting the card on a computer in the FAT32 format then try to format it in the camera.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

kaceyelong
Apprentice

Hello! I am having the same issues with a rebel t7. Were you able to identify a solution?

Announcements