cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 SD Card "Cannot Be Accessed" Message

lala27d
Contributor

I just bought the canon t7 and i have a question  why this is coming up? I just bought a brand new sd card never used. Please help!! thank you in advance!

0249045B-7577-4F56-B118-1AABF0BBAF8B.jpeg

17 REPLIES 17

I keep 3 or 4 extra SD Cards in the event of a bad card and for extra capacity. Carry plenty of SD Cards and take lots of pictures.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Sure, SanDisk is a good brand.    But.....128 GB is awfully large. You're better off with several smaller cards. A 32 GB card can hold tons of photos, and you should be moving files to a computer rather than trusting a huge amount of stuff to one card. Having multiple cards lets you rotate them. Fill a card, and change cards. That way if any one card dies, gets lost etc. you have not lost everything.

That's why I recommend that OP get a smaller SD Card the brand is fine.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

thank you so much for this. i only got the 128 because thats the only one cvs had at the time! ill look for smaller cards for sure. i appreciate all of you and your help!

I recommend getting a few 32 GB SD Cards that should be plenty of space. I also recommend getting an SD Card reader too. This would be faster than trying to pull pictures from the camera.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Agree on both counts with Demetrius.  It's a good idea to take the photos, copy them onto a computer, once you confirm the files are there, put the card back into your camera and format for the next shoot.

However, a couple of things. 

Removing the SD card from your camera and then uploading the files via either an SD card slot in your computer, or one attached via USB is far more reliable and faster, and takes no more steps.

If you use Windows, use the Eject command in File Manager to close open files on the card once you have completed the copy process.  It should tell you that the card is then safe to remove.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Recording video on the T7, which I have, requires a different memory card; SD speed class 6 or higher. I would also recommend downloading the T7 manual as a PDF. I have it on my laptop and my Android phone for quick reference. There's a trainload of info there. Good luck!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not know why, but T5, T6, and T7 camera bodies and SDXC memory cards, 64GB or higher, do not get along.  I know what the User Manual says, that the cameras can use SDXC cards.  In the real world, the camera bodies frequently seem to choke on SDXC cards.

If you stick to SDHC memory cards, 32GB or less, then this current issue will go away.  Be sure to to use the camera perform a low level format of the SD card prior to first use.  They do not come reformatted.  Follow all of Trevor’s advice in the first response.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements