cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL2 All WB settings giving yellow/orange sky after sunrise, no blue

Precious2
Contributor

I have a question re firmware. I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL2, firmware 1.0.1, which was updated earlier this year. Prior to the update, I had no trouble getting blue sky after sunrise. Now, all I get is yellow & orange. It doesn't matter if I'm using WB of Auto, Sun, Shade or Cloudy.... every WB setting shoots the same. My question is.... Is it possible to upload the previous firmware - I did not see it in the firmware list? Thank you for any help you are able to provide. If necessary, I can provide a link to the flickr album which shows all the post-sunrise colors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Each new firmware release would mostly be cumulative.  An exception would be if a later firmware release needs to undo all or part of a prior release (e.g. firmware version 2.1.0 introduced a bug that is then addressed in version 2.1.1).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

The Canon support site for the camera shows a newer firmware 1.1.0, in case you want to try it.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-sl2 

I looked at the changes with the newer firmware, but they did not address my camera's problems. I hate to do it, but I'll try setting it back to factory default. Thank you.

Are you capturing in RAW? While that in and of itself won't address the issue you're finding with WB, at least that WB isn't baked in at all to RAW images and you could freely adjust in post.

--
Ricky

No, I do not shoot in RAW. Canon's software does not recognize the CR2 file type, and I would not know what to do with the images if th esoftware did recognize itself. I set everything back to factory settings. Maybe tomorrow I can get out early and shoot the sunrise, but I will not be able to duplicate the conditions that were present July 28 or 29. Thank you.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One quick and dirty way to determine if your settings are causing an issue is to switch to the Green [A+] mode.  This mode is fully automatic and bypasses any custom settings and changes you may have made.  

If Green [A+] mode still gives you skies that are orange, then you should contact Canon Support.

If switching to Green [A+] mode makes the problem go away, then you need to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  You may also need to reset Custom Control Programming, too, which has its own factory reset.  Other menus have their own factory resets, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, I tried all the auto settings - nothing changed. Canon Support I cannot pay for. I do not know what Custom Control Programming is - I don't do anything custom. What I know about the camera and photography, I have taught myself; I am not a pro. Thank you.

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Please post some pictures in the forum so forum members can better assist you. Also Canon's DPP photo editor does support CR2 files. It can open all of my CR2 files and it also can open newer CR3 files too. I would check the version of DPP you're currently on.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I have resized and loaded the following: first 2 pics are from 072823, showing golden sky (should have plenty of blue in it), and one with blue sky, that was taken facing away from the sunrise. The next pic was taken 072923, which shows more of the same golden sky. The last pic, taken 080223, shows a very different sky at sunrise, with lots of blue clouds, as they appeared to my eyes.       Regarding the DPP, I can update it, but I do not have any use for RAW images - sorry. I'm certain there are portions of the software that I can use, just cannot remember what is in there.       And, I turned the software back to factory settings, now I have lost the grid. But I do have a question on that: Does the update include all past updates, plus new additions? Or, is it only adding to a past update? If it's additions to the past update, I'm in trouble, as past versions are no longer available. Thanks for your help.

Each new firmware release would mostly be cumulative.  An exception would be if a later firmware release needs to undo all or part of a prior release (e.g. firmware version 2.1.0 introduced a bug that is then addressed in version 2.1.1).

--
Ricky

Announcements