cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 AF Screen keeps moving

FhvnEd
Contributor

Hello All. After many years as a Canon EOS EF system photographer with everything from a 5DS-R to a couple 1Dx Mark III and a 5D Mark IV and as many accompanying system lenses (which, btw, I still use and love) I recently dipped my toes into the shallow end of the EOS RF pool to see what, if any, difference I would find that could make me switch completely.  I started with the R7 coupled to a 100-400 ƒ/5.6-8 zoom lens as I had seen some really excellent images taken with it.  My problem seems to be with the Auto Focus screen on the R7 not staying in the center of the lens.  It shifts all over, usually defaulting to the upper left corner.  Without realizing it had done that, my first efforts were blurred beyond recognition because the AF sensor was looking at the sky and I had no idea what I had done,  The user manual for the R7 is very small (not in size, but in pages) and it only offers a cursory explanation of the features.  I discovered how to toggle the screen back to the center, but it will only stay there for a few images and moves it self again.  Does anyone have any idea why this does this and how I can get it to lock in the center of the screen?  Am I touching something while holding the camera that will cause that?  Is there a setting I'm not finding in the menu that addresses that issue? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here's the full manual:

cam.start.canon : For customers using the EOS R7

HTML or PDF versions >900 pages

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

After downloading and reviewing the full User Manual at John’s link, I recommend “closing” the rear display so that you do not accidentally touch it while shooting, to see if that makes any difference in the AF point seemingly moving about on its own.

I also recommend looking at a few YouTube videos about the AF System in the R5 and R6, as they are similar to the what is built into the R7.  When you are first starting out, I recommend disabling, or not enabling, any of the Eye AF, Animal Tracking, and other features not found in a DSLR during OVF shooting.

The AF system in the R series bodies is very good at tracking moving objects.  All you really need to do is acquire a subject, and then keep the subject within the field of view.  There are literally hundreds of AFpoints.  Allow the camera to select the best one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  I had already checked out other suggestions and I did disable the Eye AF and the subject tracking, but didn't think about closing the the rear display.  I did notice there is a feature where covering the viewfinder eyepiece causes the rear screen to go black, so maybe closing it completely will help. I'm used to the much smaller screens on my DSLR bodies and they are not touch screens, so maybe that is what's happening.  Thanks again.

Well, you're right.  Definitely larger (963 pages) than what they supplied with the camera, which was nothing more than a 'getting started' guide to the camera.  With a little luck, I'll see what it says about the AF screen.  Thanks again.

Check to see if Touch & Drag AF is enabled (AF 4 menu). When enabled, this feature will allow focus points to be moved (and they stick) to any position on the rear LCD when you are shooting, even when the LCD is inactive, just like a computer touchpad. Look on page 472 of the advanced users manual. Just a thought 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you, but I had already disabled that function.  I have taken all the advice and, although I have found no setting or information that will permit the AF point to be locked in the center position, I will see what the various changes will do.  I have a major shoot tomorrow and will be using the R7 as the primary from the first time. I'll share the results.  Thanks to all.

Sorry that info was of no use 😞 The only other option, and I'm not sure the R7 will do this, is to disable Touch AF. I know it has the feature, but don't think you can disable it. Personally, disabling touch totally or turning the screen around is not an option for me as I use those features in my shooting. You may be able to just blank the screen, by toggling the info button, to stop Touch AF as it just works in Live View.

On a side note, my R5 and R62 sometimes do this as well and I have to toggle the info button to LV and reset the focus point. I can't find a rime or reason for this, but fortunately, it rarely happens. Just may be a buggaboo in these R's firmware.

Good luck on your shoot and may the camera gods smile on you 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Actually I discovered I can disable the Touch AF on the R7 (thanks to a suggestion from another forum member).  On the one hand, it seems turning the display screen off or closing it may solve the moving pointer problem.  On the other, it's really inconvenient to not have that screen to immediately review the image.  I don't have any cameras with that flip out display screen.  All my EF gear has the standard static 3" display that I've become accustomed to and comfortable with. I'm assuming the entire RF series has this type of display screen, so I guess I'll have to learn to deal with it. 

My advice to close the display was more of a test than a solution or work around.  It was to confirm or deny if the issue could be caused by touching the display in some manner.

BTW, I think the best way to disable the touchscreen is with the [LOCK] button settings.  There is no need to take a deep dive into the weeds with the touch screen settings.  Simply turn it off when you do not need it.

Personally, I leave my screens closed on bodies that have the feature.  Reviewing every shot is a tremendous battery drain.  Once I know my exposures are good, I will close it for an extended period of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements