cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 AF Not Working Properly with 100-500mm Lens

Tommyboyks
Contributor

I have a Canon R7 camera and recently purchased a Canon 100x500mm lens. The auto focus often doesn’t work correctly. If I try to focus on an object or animal and push the shutter button half-way, nothing happens. If I switch to manual an focus on the object and then switch back to auto focus, the auto focus works. What am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is likely a camera setting. Please see menu > AF > tab 3.

Lens Drive when AF Impossible - Turn this on [On]

shadowsports_1-1690512270032.png

shadowsports_0-1690512234040.png

If this doesn't help, we'll need specific information about the shooting mode and AF method, etc.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The AF is most likely working correctly.  I suspect you have a camera settings issue.  Depending upon the shooting conditions, the camera can get confused when there is a busy background.  It may stop focusing, as described and controlled by the setting described above by Rick.

Sometimes you do want to stop the AF system and reset it, which is one of the reasons why I program the {AF-ON] button for [AF-OFF].  It takes more time to read about it than it does to do it.

The AF system may or may not reset itself once the metering timer expires, which is a behavior that depends on yet another camera setting, of course.  I’d rather just give the button a quick tap, and I can reacquire my subject without having to wait for metering to expire.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements