cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 desaturated part of the image?

jessiesmith220
Contributor

Hello! Quick question! In both the raw and jpeg files from this session, i noticed that the roof of this building was desaturated completely in all of the images as we moved around the property. Not all taken from this spot. You can see the red color the entire roof is supposed to be in the top left corner, the tiny part above the window. That's the accurate color of the entire roof, but for some reason in all the files both raw and jpeg, the roof of the building is completely gray. Earlier in the session we were at a different spot and the color of those very red roofs came through just fine. No settings were changed between the two locations. Any ideas? I would understand it more if it were ALL the reds in the image, but as you can see it picked up a small portion of the actual color of the roof, just not the whole thing. I've never seen this happen before, I'm assuming it has to be something that happened in camera since it recorded this way on both memory cards! Any help is welcome! Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 4.20.26 PM.png

14 REPLIES 14

jessiesmith220
Contributor

Not sure if this is the best way to share a raw file (open to other instruction!) but here's a dropbox link to one of the raw files: Dropbox link to file

Thank you! 

Only part that is completely clipped (red,gren and blue) is a small part of the sky right above the tree.

Peter_0-1727292015405.png

If I lift the shadows I get back the brown colour from this area.

Skärmbild från 2024-09-25 21-23-50.png

If I do the same with the roof I get some brown colour from the part closest to you. Probably that part gets light reflected.

Peter_1-1727292763072.png

I would say that it looks like that due to the strong backlight and that the roof is shaded. Let's see what the others say.

BTW, would it look more natural if you darken the roof and the sky? Maybe not as much as I did here below.

Peter_2-1727293893319.png

The roof of this building is iconic red (Grand Floridian Resort at Disney World) so anything other than the red shade and the family would definitely notice it and question it. The roof would have been more in the full sun in the few different images I shared where the color disappeared moreso than the shade, just crazy to me that the same thing happened in a few different images taken from different spots, but that in the small corner of the roof it DID pick up the color. Never had this happen before, and I shoot backlit all the time. So so strange! I appreciate you looking at it! 

@jessiesmith220 wrote:

The roof of this building is iconic red (Grand Floridian Resort at Disney World) so anything other than the red shade and the family would definitely notice it and question it. The roof would have been more in the full sun in the few different images I shared where the color disappeared moreso than the shade, just crazy to me that the same thing happened in a few different images taken from different spots, but that in the small corner of the roof it DID pick up the color. Never had this happen before, and I shoot backlit all the time. So so strange! I appreciate you looking at it! 

Better? I added a mask and changed the colour a little bit.

Peter_0-1727297576758.png

I looked at the CR3 file. I hope some of this might be helpful.

It appears that there is strong backlight and maybe a color cast to the light reflected onto the people. The selected color temperature of 5700K cannot be best for both the subject and the background since they are lit differently. Daylight would be best for the sunlit portions of the building in the background, but shade would be better for the shaded portions of the roof. Auto exposure and auto white balance might have done better than these manual settings, or, maybe a composite with white balance bracketing. I am not able to guess the reason for the green/magenta white balance shift in the camera settings. A smaller aperture would have put more of the background into focus.

A few things from the metadata:

MakerNotes:Camera CanonExposureMode Manual
MakerNotes:Image WhiteBalance Manual Temperature (Kelvin)
EXIF:Image ExposureTime 1/8000
MakerNotes:Image WBShiftGM -1
EXIF:Image ISO 640
MakerNotes:Image ColorTemperature 5700
EXIF:Image FNumber 2.8

Announcements